Hi rpm after starting?

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
Hi there,

I have a problem with my 89 Yz250. After starting the bike it maintains a very high rpm for a few seconds (with no throttle), probably ten or 15 and then settles down to slightly higher than normal rpm. The choke seems to have no affect over this. Once the bike is warm it idles fine and the choke will eventually kill the engine.

Any advice would be much appreciated

On a side note I find the information posted on this site extremely valuable and thank everyone who participates.

Regards

Troy

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
I had the same problem on my '03 Cr125 from new. I try to get the choke off ASAP. The engine would idle quick (im guessing about 3-4000rpm) and i worried about cold seizure. Pushing the choke in meant the bike then seemed to run out of fuel within 5-10 secs. I had to regulate it by keeping my finger in the choke. Anyway, i installed a v-force and a pipe, and was jetting to suit. The bike was hesitant at part throttle. I knew the problem was lean pilot circuit. Airscrew didn't help, i installed a 32.5 pilot jet (1 size up from stock) Hesitating cured. Bonus points, erratic idle cured too. Nice slow idle when starting from cold. And no fuel starvation.

Basically as someone has said, it's a lean pliot circuit. If the airscrew has no effect, try a larger pilot jet.
Sorry for rambling on!

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
Thanks for your advice everyone. I tried playing with the airscrew, but had no luck. Hopefully it's the pilot jet and not a crankcase leak. Will let you know.

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
Me and my dads kx 250s 00 and 01 both do it too ... i say its nothing to worry about ..it only does it in cold weather and have had no problem ..so if it does it in cold weather its probly a jetting thing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…