Seven

Sep 26, 2003
I just bought an 89 kdx 200 , it has an fmf fatty gold series pipe and silencer on it and I believe the stock reeds. I am assuming at this point they changed the jetting for the pipe.
I noticed today while riding that when I would crack the throttle it would hesitate for a second and then wind out , it was plenty warmed up and yes I did make sure the choke was all the way off
because that was first my suspicion.
It didnt matter what gear I was in it would do it when you let off
and then next time you cranked it open. Reeds? bad plug?
Any info will be appreciated , this is my first kdx and Im getting lots of helpful info from this site.Thanks K.L.

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I am having the same problem too on my 89. It was fine this spring/summer but now it has the same hesitation as you described. I fiddled with the air screw, but didn't help much. My pilot jet is stock, down one size on main and needle in the middle position. I am thinking that the reeds are shot as i have put a lot of miles on it this year. It has 4100 miles with the stock reeds, probably time to change them?? Thanks for any help you can provide!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It’s hard to tell from your description what the problem could be. Could be a lot of things. From float height to a fouled plug. You’ll need to go over the bike step by step. Start with the most obvious and least expensive things first. Check for air/vacuum leaks at the air boot. Check the air filter and spark plug. Clean out the carb and check the float. From there you might want to check the compression or perform a leak-down test.

Then again, it could simply be your jetting! Let us know if you find anything.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
seven dont assume the jetting was changed if u bought a used bike. i would pull the jug and check the rings hell i would prob just put new rings in since i had it apart. put some $30 boyesen reeds in the thing too. but it sounds like your jetting is off. pull the carb off and see whats in it.

Top Bottom