el_guapo

Dec 3, 2005
I'm ready to install my new pipe and silencer, Is the "high Heat" silicone a must when installing the new stuff? I have the pipe to silencer coupler, but do I need the silicone where the pipe meets the motor? :think:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
It depends on the bike.
If you have one or two o-ring seals you should have to, but it does help to smear the rings with a little high heat silicone to improve the seal and make the o-rings last longer.
GE makes a great seal.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You shouldn't need any silicone with O-rings. I usually throw some on for good measure though.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I should do this too, my bike always seems to have oil leaking from the exhaust flange from the cylinder when I start it, not much but there definatley isn't a good a seal there.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You should also replace the O-ring when you remove the pipe. Not everyone does (includung me) until they start leaking. Adding high temp silicone seal helps to extend the replacement interval.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The joint between the pipe and cylinder should be pretty snug and have to be installed/removed with a rubber mallet. It it just slips in then you need new O-rings.

Top Bottom