garytedeschi

May 10, 2008
i have a 95 ktm 300 which was bogging down. I cleaned the carb and repacked the muffler and its running much better; however, now its idling really high. I tried adusting the idle screw and air screw, but I can not get it to idle correctly. I am guessing there is something wrong with the throttle cable? Any suggestions?

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
try adjusting the length of the throttle cable where it goes into the throttle body. get it running and adjust it till you get it where you like it

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Actually you should set the throttle cable so that it has a slight amount of free play. The cable adjustment is not intended to set the idle speed, the idle speed screw on the carburetor is designed for setting the idle speed.
Setting the idle speed with the cable adjustment is a very dangerous proposition!

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
what I meant above about the throttle cable was to check it. on my bike, the cable was wrapped around the handle bars which was pulling the cable so esentially my throttle was always slightly open. no matter how much adjustment I did on the idle screw, the idle wouldnt come down. I had to untwist the cable and make it a little longer, to give it some free play, and that dropped the idle down. that would be something to check if the idle is not responding to trying other suggestions. I agree though, you wouldn't want to raise your idle doing this.

garytedeschi

May 10, 2008
ok, so assuming i check the throttle cable and it has the correct amount of free play, should I then check for an air leak, maybe from the reed valve area?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's a possibility. Just shoot some carb cleaner around there, if the rpm's pick up you have a leak.

Top Bottom