mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
:eek:
My KDX's Head was shaved by Eric Gorr's machine shop about three months ago for more compression. Since then I have been running 106 Octane gas at $5/Gallon. I have heard that octane boosters are a waste of time/money and Alcohol (example: Iso-propol/antifreeze) is good for boosting octane. Alcohol helps in adding oxygen to the fuel mixture and boosting the octane. Why couldn't I buy the 93 Octane gas and put some alcohol along with the oil to get the same results? How much alcohol should I add without damage to the engine?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Good question for Eric Gorr's forum. I personally think the alcohol cut gas here in IL sucks! That being said, this is the only ethanol cut gas I've run in a 2-stroke (10%). I've run all gas, all race gas, and all methanol(not in a bike)....

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Isopropyl/antifreeze........you're kidding right? What did E Gorr say was required to use with your head setup? Thats what it takes, no subsitute. You are right, octane boosters,etc are a waste of money and would only raise octane by a few points, and AvGas is no good either. You might get away with 50/50 93 and 106 but you better check what octane is required. Surely he told you huh? You should have expected this when you got head milled and been prepared to use race gas.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I could have had the head milled to run on 93 octane, but elected to have it done to run on racing gas of about 104 octane. I race in hare scrambles and wanted the extra "kick." With a high quality synthetic oil at 32:1 why couldn't I boost the octane of 93 gas with alcohol at a decent price, instead of paying $5/gallon for racing gas (about 104 octane).

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Alcohols in gasoline are problems about to happen. Water mixes with alcohol instead of your coubustion lube oil, which prefers to mix with gasoline. Easy to ruin an upper end. My advice, if that is what you are posting for, is to ride your two stroke away from any mention of alcohols in its fuel!!

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
If you're not on the pipe all the time that race gas ain't gonna help you much. Get a stock head and slap it on when you don't feel like shelling out the money for race gas...It was you're decision!

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
I have used toluene, up to 33%, in my dsm turbo at 22psi with minimal detonation per a palm platform datalogger that interfaces with the diagnostic port. Toluene is about 114 octane if memory serves me correctly. So 1/3 114 and 2/3 93 = about 100 octane.

I have also run 100 low lead av gas in the car and it works fairly well, but the lead and the lack of cat causes a bad odor to the exhaust so I quit using it. It certainly was cost effective though... :) Plus it is untaxed, at least it is here. :) :) :)

Top Bottom