High speed rocky desert tire pressure

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Running Maxxis desert it 110/90 19 rear and Maxxis HT 100/80 21 front. First ride on them I had 17 psi. in both front and rear, on a fairly flat straight a shadow on the trail sorta concealed a half-buried rock and I tagged it good which resulted in a flat front.

Prior to the flat the bike felt great, way more traction.. I was running 100/90 19 D756 rear and Maxxis SI up front before @ 18 psi never had a flat, but I am riding a little faster/harder now.

Having a HD tube put in the front this time and was wondering where I should go with pressure on the front. Can I stay at 17 and hope the HD tube will handle it, or should I go up in pressure?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
O3RM125 said:
Thanks for any suggestions!
How about two? Tire balls or bib mousse.

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
At $200 Tire balls are a no way for me right now, wife nearly killed me over the new front/rear + tubes and now a new HD tube. When I got home and pointed to the flat she unhappily says "How'd that happen??!!" LOL.

Bib mousse is more of a possibility, but again would have to wait on that, maybe when this tire wears out.

Heres some shots of the terrain if that helps with suggesting a pressure:

http://picasaweb.google.com/SahraBlue/OurBackYard?feat=email#

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think 17 psi and heavy duty tubes should give you very good flat protection.

You might not have got a flat with an HD tube, but pinch flats are highly unpredictable.

Personally, I hate how my bike handles with over 15 psi, so I won't go over that, and I just take my chances (but I've got HD tubes, too).

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Patman said:
How about two? Tire balls or bib mousse.
Tire balls or bib mousse will solve your problem for sure. Cost is high and this type of tire inflation system requires a lot more maintaince than tubes. Most people run a tire until until its time for a new one, never taking it off the rim unless they have a flat. Not the case with tireball's or bibs they require maintaince and work, imagine changing a tire without letting the air out first. If racing and having a flat is not an option its the way to go. If your only having a couple or three flats a year trail riding it may not be worth it.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
I would never have 17 psi but i dont ride fast thru lots of rocks I mostly ride the state trails here and tracks. I think Your at a good number. how you ride you have to expect a couple of flats over a season if you ride an average amount.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
naah. people ride desert all the time, there's no reason to exect more flats.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
schmanman said:
naah. people ride desert all the time, there's no reason to exect more flats.

I didnt say more flats i just said flats because hes trying to avoid flats.

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Felt what seemed like more deflection at 18 psi, or maybe it was the HD tube..

I did tag a couple of good rocks, one I thought for sure it was going to be pinched on, its hard not to where I am riding unless going pretty slow, but no flat! :cool:

Wish I had a few extra $ for a 3.4 galllon tank, local hare scrambles coming up, but I just dont have the range yet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…