Skuta

Jan 31, 2006
I was just curious to know some of your guys techniques for turning your bike around when you don't make it up a hill.

I'm talking straigt up hills too not no sissy hills.

Randy

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Skuta said:
I'm talking straigt up hills too not no sissy hills.
Randy
apparently or you shoulve made it :laugh:

if youre talking gnarly then youre probably talking when you dont make it , it is necessary to bail in such a manner that the handlegrip is buried to prevent cartwheeling(fmf loves me) ............ohhh yeeaaa :aj: the bike probably stalled also and you may have done at least one reverse high speed somersalt. that hills name is "hillus impossibillus" one note to make if this is what youre talking about if the reverse somersalt is possible pay close attention to where the trees are at, avoid them if you can and dont deny the somersalt, trust me it is best you dont turn it into a reverse swan dive down said hill !!

go back up the hill quickly and upright the bike ......i hate wasting premix, hold front brake, turn the front tire, pull clutch in just enough to let the bike come down the hill 1 foot at a time, once you do this a couple times the bike should be perpendicular to the hill, at this point theres no rolling, with the bike in gear and front brakes applied,start wiggling the front tire side to side til youre almost pointed down hill, jump on bike pull in clutch and bump start on your way down as soon as possible.

ive got a different move for when your back tire is dug into loose soil, its an all in one go for it type deal where you stand directly behind the bike and it doesnt take alot to pull the front tire straight up in the air, then jerk it to the side as hard as possible turning the bike 180deg. while jumping on the seat and rolling down the hill. my bud that owns the sports park i frequent calls it a work of art :nod: . i aint saying im bad or anything , but the bad dont want none of this :laugh:
sorry if i rambled but hill climbing gets me worked up if ya cant tell :laugh:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't do hills, but I hear that, if at all possible, you should sacrifice yourself so that the bike can make it up...

gomerhill.jpg

... failing that, try to toss your bike to a friend...

Uwe2.jpg

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm pretty much with ellandoh's methods. All the big hills I've had to deal with have been sand or very loose soil. If I don't make it I just try to get the bike perpendicular to the hill as I stop, and kind of lay over into the hill side. Then I can get the front end to slide downhill and start careening completly out of control.

It's amazing how you can hit the bottom of a hill at 40 mph and hold it wide open all the way up and not make it. Then on the way down from that point you can have the brakes basically locked the whole way down and still feel like you are doing about 230 mph by the time you reach the bottom.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
that looks like texas dirt to me gomer. where are yall in those pics?

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
adam728 said:
It's amazing how you can hit the bottom of a hill at 40 mph and hold it wide open all the way up and not make it.
Well, thats probably why you're not making it up the hill. Depending on how sudden the hill went steep, if you hit it at 40 mph, you bounce back (usually) from the rebound and that's where you lose traction and then it all goes downhill from there (literally!) Usually, when my friends and I are hillclimbing, we roll up to a hill about 10 mph and then just pin it going up. Depending on how long the hill is you might have to use your clutch to keep your RPM's up and let off sometimes to dodge trees or keep the front end down. These are some steep hills were going up too. Some are pretty long too.
Although, if the hill gradually gets steeper, just hit it as fast as you want to make it up.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I didn't mean the not making it part was amazing, I meant it's amazing that it feels like you are going faster coming down it on the brakes on.

There's really only like 2 hills I really attack like that, both are very, very sandy, with a large "wash out" area at the bottom, so it's a gradual change in slope. But they get damn steep, and deep sand isn't a KDX's friend, so momentum has to try and make up for that.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
tx246 said:
that looks like texas dirt to me gomer. where are yall in those pics?
Good eye! Those were at the Flyin' P Ranch during the Dallas SpodeFest of '98. The second pic was Uwe Hale on (or should I say, "off") his WR250.

Skuta

Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for the info. I ask because there is this hill in jawbone canyon (up in mojave) It is very very steep. Really loose and sandy the first have then it gets a little rocky and turns back into thick sandy dirt 3/4 to the top. There are a bunch of whoops at the bottom and Id run through them in third gear and am pinned once I'm on the hill. about midway there is a big bump in the trail with a rock in the middle. I tried to climb this hill 3 times. The first time I backed off a little when I got to the rock and didn't make it. Second time I got stuck in about the same place. The third time I kept the bike hammered all the way and made it passed the rock, when I got to the thick dirt about 3/4 the way up. Then the bike starts losing power so I drop it in second and climbed almost to the top when the bike lost all momentum. This is the scary part. When I lost momentum I laid the bike over but I could not get my footing cause the hill was so steep, and I fell down about 10 feet when I slid to a stop. It was scary, I just kept seeing myself start cart wheeling down to the bottom at that point.

If any of you like to hill climb like me than jawbone canyon is the place to be. There are some hills out there that would require you to have elephant balls in order to even think of attempting. If you go in more to dove springs camp than it is better riding and not as rocky.

Later,
Randy

Feb 7, 2006
Try to get as far away from the motorcycle as possible.
The "Hail Mary" release is good, that is the one where you push off with feet and hands as hard as possible, keeping the throttle cranked wide open in hopes that the motorcyle will make it over the top while you flail your way to the bottom.
On competition hillclimbs there are very brave men who are on the hill to try and catch the bike when you come off of it.
I'm not sure if they catch the bike as much as it catches them, but I hear they have the life expectancy of rodeo clowns.

reflynn

Feb 8, 2006
Ooops

I have ended up watching my z400 bouce down the mountain without me. (thankfully) I have learned that it doesnt like doing that. Onc you are on a hill stay into get your weight as far forward as possible.
lol

Feb 7, 2006
I had a stretched out frame with a Norton engine on it...one of those paddle wheelers...this was before the days of the kill switch lanyard...the front end went for the sky and it was certain there was no saving it, so I waved it a merry farewell and let it go...the damn thing made it up the hill and kept going almost 1/4 mile without me....glad it didn't hold more gas...I might never have found it.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
Thumpitythumpity said:
I had a stretched out frame with a Norton engine on it...one of those paddle wheelers...this was before the days of the kill switch lanyard...the front end went for the sky and it was certain there was no saving it, so I waved it a merry farewell and let it go...the damn thing made it up the hill and kept going almost 1/4 mile without me....glad it didn't hold more gas...I might never have found it.

hahaha that is priceless!!! ya i've learnt(even though i've never flipped my quad in the 4 years i've had it) to stay on the throttle especially on a quad, because its not fun backing down a hill on a quad.... family friend was screwing around at our local gravel pit on his 2003 z400 (my dad and i were still coming down the mountain) and i guess he was playing around and thought he'd go up a little hill in 1st well i guess he rolled it right over backwards a couple of times. the only damage was the handle bars were near the front fender and the centre cap for the handle bar, a bolt went through that cap. and i think a couple of little scratches, but thats it. we fixed the bars and rode around some more. his daughter bought it for her boyfriend to race, and she paid like 12,000 Canadian for it. and was making payments. and so she put it up for sale and he dad took over the payments for it, (he was borrowing a friends can am 400 2 stroke, those things haul) and he wouldnt let me take the z400 for a rip, i was disappointed. :( .

Feb 7, 2006
My son has a big Kawasaki 4 wheeler he races. I'm not comfortable on 4 wheelers...I'm just too used to 2 wheels...4 makes me feel all unhinged...don't know why...I loved snowmobiles when I got a chance to play on em up in Wisconsin...A guy loaned me a 440 Arctic Cat and it was love at first skid.
I've tried riding 4 wheelers and finally got tired of getting laughed at by people who DID know how to ride em.
My kid comes around corners all sideways and throwing roost like it was the most natural thing in the world.
I just can't find the faith in me to throw a 4 wheeler around like he does.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Im the same way on a quad. I have this fear of high siding and ending up underneith the thing... again. Or getting sucked under by the tire... again. Or getting my head stuck under the axle... again. I dunno, I guess I have some reasons to dislike them. :blah: :ahhh:

Feb 7, 2006
RM_RACER, man, it sounds like you are just a dyed in the wool 2 wheel guy like me.
I don't mind slinging a cage around, but the tire aint right by my shoulder looking to eat me up like the big bad wolf either.

Skuta

Jan 31, 2006
Ya there is nothing scarier then when you don't make it up a hill on a quad. I climbed this one steep hill on my moms 250 mojave and made it up but 3/4 the way up when I just ran out of momentum. First I tried to back the thing up. Than I thought different once it started going a little crooked backwards. So I got off it holding the front brake. Somehow turned it around just enough to have the front tire facing down and jumped on it and went down.

Its one thing when you get stuck but its another when you have to help someone else get down a hill. My mom didn't make it up a hill one time. So I came up behind her and wedged my quad behind hers. Had her hold my front brakes and then turned her quad around. Grabbed my front brake and her front brake and had her jump on and go down. But then I had to turn my quad around. :think: But thats alot better than seeing my mom tumble down a hill.

zvzw

Jun 1, 2007
Flying P Ranch

Hi you all,
Its been a while since I have even heard of the Flying P Ranch,but does it still exist? I did not know if they were still open or not? I rode there for manyyyyyyy years as a youngster. If anyone knows about ATV/Motorcyle trails around DFW please email me and let me know. I have been out of the circle for many years now. Ft Worth here!

Jerry

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
u turns on the wall or the squid filter or butterball etc...

I know this thread is 4 years old, but Skuda, if you're still around(the hills a jawbone can be brutal, even life threatening), in all those posts, what i've read is directions for crashing on a hill & forever "altering your bike, permanently." If you want the thing to spin a 180, prior to losing all upward momentum, lift one foot up off the peg whilst weighting the other at about 1\2-3\4 throttle & tap the clutch a time or two & a u turn is yours.(lift the foot you want the bike to turn towards) If you wait till all momentum is lost... things can turn spectacular in a flash with the out come unknown. If just prior to stopping on a hill, turn 90 to the right or left & get the centerline of the bike 90 degrees to the fall line,& stop, check your surroundings, regain your composure if needed & pick a favorable time to begin your decent. I prefer pointing to the right, the rear brake will be on the side opposite the incline, this leaves your left foot free to support you with the bike leaned into the hill.
(this advise shared with me a very long time ago, by an old pro, 5 time 500 cc world mx champ & works well to this day) :nod:

Last edited:
Top Bottom