Hill Help

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Tried all summer to make a hill climb at trails - get near the top and up(way up and over) goes the front. Fairly long hill w/bump at top 1/4 where it also gets steeper. Trying to pull it in 1st and try to get over handle bars. Not a lot of room at bottom to get a run. I see tracks from other (experienced) riders getting to the top. I need to make this hill before winter!!!

2002 kdx
ps new jetts on the way from studco main(155 &158) Pilot (45/48) cant wait to put em in.

Just cause it's green like a Lawn Boy doesn't mean it has to smoke like one.

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i worked on a couple hills kinda like urs tho not as long 30-40 ft .mine has,no run,big roots at top of one.the other has a rock pile in mid and curves at the top w bump.i use first on some,lean fwd,steady throttle.don't play w the throttle,u'll loose momentum or loop.simply give it a little clutch if u loose traction or the front starts up.if ur on/off the throttle things get jerky ,momentum lost or wheel over.proper clutch use lets the front roll up n over those little gems and u don't miss a beat.be confidant !!!! other things...indecision kills,r u sure it's a 1st gear hill....some i do in 2nd or standing,no way to get a better run at urs?rest still applies,keep in mind i'm a work in progress ,this is what i've found to work....i or it may b all wrong,i'm sure i'll b corrected :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
On my older model KDX I found that the aftermarket bars were too high for me (5’9”) and going uphill I was pulling the cross bar into my face (well it felt that way). Didn’t realise until I rode a friends bike & got back on mine.

Some lower bars with less pullback made life a lot easier, oh yeah I didn’t shorten them as much as my old ones either.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If possible climb in second gear. Always stand on the pegs and "put your nose on the front fender" when climbing steep hills. Don't be afraid to downshift and use the clutch over problem spots.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: front end coming up

Turn down your fork clickers a couple. That'll helps if it's some sorta bump (root, rock, rut etc) that starts the loop-it.

A softer shock compression setting may help keep traction, too.

Post us a pic of you making it!
;)

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Thanks all, will make all adjustments and consider "working?" the clutch - sounds scary! Any chance someone can explain the clutch idea more? Cany, will have a flag to plant at the top of "Everest", a digital camera might make the trip - too afraid to brake it.

What price victory?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Use your clutch to maintain momentum while not stalling the bike or over revving it. Start out in the highest gear possible to gain as much momentum as possible and work the clutch lever in and out just a little (feather it) to maintain speed and reduce wheel spin. Keep your weight forward to prevent the front end getting too lite. As the bike loses speed and momentum you'll still have one or maybe two down shifts available and ease out the clutch as you make a sprint to the finish. As you down shift get your weight as far forward as possible and feather the clutch to maintain traction and RPM's. It sounds easier than it is but thats all I can tell you about that.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Hill climbs -w- a near vertical top are very tricky.
I would recomend trying to get a better run at it, so you can at least get up it in 2nd gear.
Speed is the key to clearing it.
Keep your weight as far forward as you possibly can, but when you hit that steep spot , be travelling as fast as possible.
Momentum is the best way to clear it.
Just make sure that you dont drop STRAIGHT back down if you catch air at the top!!! :scream:
Dont laugh, ive seen it happen before........ :(

HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
Hi All-
Would a final drive ratio change help out in this situation? i.e. bigger rear sprocket maybe?

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
kinda off topic. wallasaki- i live near you. well just north of pittsburgh. ever ride at elderton's widowmaker off of route 422? or in kittanning? let me know if you wanna see some killer hills.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Kshaffer, are they the trails that you can see from rt 28? Is this near 422? I have also heard of the trails at Kittaning - do alot of fishing that way(river), sounds like its time to leave the boat and take the bike. 30 min to Tarentum 1 hr to Kittaning. Let me know next time your takin the bike out. With all this help I just may be ready for the "killer" hills!

wbec@msn.com

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Wallasaki - I have had the same trouble as you in the past - and still do sometimes in the present. Learning to feather the clutch was the key for me. I cannot tell you how many times i looped it prior to that when climbing really steep hills. There are still a few that i have trouble with - and nnothing is more frustrating than knowing that you can get up a hill - but not making it. :|

Keep at it. We are all waiting for that digital pic of you on the top. Use lots of foam packing to protect the camera! ;)

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
KDX 1st gear, a.k.a. LOOPOUT GEAR! Try it in 2nd gear and you'll clear it with flying colors. I've been climbing alot in 2nd lately and I can't believe how much easier and more precise it is over 1st gear. You'll have to baby the clutch a little at times to keep the revs up, but your bike will effectively pull 2nd from as low as a walking pace. Good luck!
-Charles

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Looks like the showdown w/me and "The Hill" will have to be next weekend. Have been daydreaming about busting over the top(in 2nd gear(feathered)) w/ a big grin. Thanks for the advice and support.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…