Hinson clutch basket and Cr250 help.

crjohne

Feb 17, 2006
Hi,
I'm replacing the stock clutch basket with a Hinson in my 90' cr250.
The problem is that when I put all the clutch plates and discs in, the outside friction disc is not seated far enough into the basket--when the clutch is disengaged, this last plate will slip out of the fingers. Does anyone know if you're supposed to use a different washer between the inner hub and basket or something like that? The instructions that came with it don't mention anything like that. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
-John

+30

Aug 2, 2005
is it an aftermarket clutch kit thats going into the hinson? if its the same kit going back in and the fit is off compared to stock, I would want to compare the baskets out of the bike to see if there is any height difference. This is the first fit issue I have heard of with hinson kits, also is it the stock inner hub as well? I would try the thinner washer as a last resort, but something seems off. possibly wrong part number basket?

ziptiedEXC

Apr 5, 2006
I have installed three of those Hinson baskets, all in CR250's 95' 96' & 97', with no problems. You might have too many fiber or metal plates. Make sure you start with a fiber plate and end with a fiber.

crjohne

Feb 17, 2006
Hey,
Thanks for the responses.

ziptiedexc: nope, correct number of plates and discs, starting and ending with fiber.

+30: it's an aftermarket clutch kit but the same one that was in the stock basket before, and I'm also using the same stock inner hub. Looking at the stock and Hinson baskets side by side, finger height and everything else looks about the same. But the weird thing is, when I load the inner hub with all the plates into each basket on top of the stock washer, the plates are about 1/4" below the top of the fingers in the stock and just about level with the lip of the fingers on the Hinson.

Based on what I'm seeing here, it definitely seems very possible that the wrong basket ended up in my box somewhere along the line. My problem with that is the Hinson catalog part numbers are all H080 or H090...etc, and the numbers on the basket itself don't match up with anything in their catalog. Numbers stamped on the basket are actually CR250 003 and 0807043.

So, this is where I'm at now. I did go out and find a thinner washer to put between the inner hub and the basket, and I installed it. It seems almost ok this way. But the thought of that last plate slipping past the fingers still bothers me, not to mention blowing all that dough and having a setup that seems sort of jury rigged. I ended up e mailing Hinson to see if they can verify the numbers stamped on that basket.

Top Bottom