ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The bike is an 01 RM 250 and when I bought it last year it came with a Hinson Clutch, the clutch handle is damn hard to pull in and the clutch has only one mode: Off or Full on, there is no between, the guy I bought it from used to race the bike and i thought that might be the way he had it set up. as of today I haven’t pulled the inspection plate off to see what is going on since I don’t have a lot of clutch work experience, is this a typical Hinson Clutch or does it sound like something else maybe going on?
Oh and the clutch doesn’t slip or malfunction in anyway when engaged.

Thanks Rich.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
does not sound like it is a Hinson clutch problem as much as something is just worn out/out of adjustment.

Or should I say that I have not experienced that problem from installing a hinson basket but have had similar problems from rusted/dirty /kinked clutch cables and worn grooved baskets

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks

Cables are not kinked but it sounds like i will have to dig into the problem, I never noticed that my clutch was even hard to pull in until i rode someone elses bike with a hinson clutch and found it much easier to shift.

Thx for the feed back

Rich

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
there are two parts in a clutch that wear, the basket and the inner hub. if he only replaces the outer basket, then this would put more wear on the inner hub.

just take the clutch cover off and take out the plates. both inner and outer should be annodized. if the inner is regular alum, it is still stock, if it is well notched this is the problem, buy the hinson inner.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
On my RM the clutch pull is easy and smooth with plenty of travel. Maybe the push rod is worn, plates are burned up, or cable is fried. I run a HEBO hydraulic clutch and my clutch pull is as easy as a 125, or easier. Pull the cover, remove the pressure plate and do an inspection. If there are aftermarket plates and springs the clutch may be hard to pull.

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
It isnt your cable and I highly doubt it is the Hinson Hub (those things are super tough) I'd say you need to replace your clutch springs. More than likely whomever had the bike before you put in heavy duty springs. You gotta have a gorrilla grip for those. Just get some new stock springs and you should have a nice smooth easy clutch pull again.

Top Bottom