Hints about buying hte right bike

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
I was wondering if there were any tricks in looking at how bad a bike has been used or not, a guy at my local shop said to try to stay away ffrom the bikes that say "never raced" because more often then not that means the guy didnt know wtf he was doing and was just riding it not taking time to change oil, top end, chain and exc. He also said to watch out for bikes that say they were bored out for more cc's and stuff, he said the cr125 stock piston were made to last and only needed o ring replacements everyonce and awhile, are there neways of checking a bike to see how it was takin care of, like checking the air filter or oil filter or somethin, i have no idea where those 2 things were, so if it does work by using one of those, tell me where they are on a cr125, i also herd some ppl put new plastic covering on bikes to make them look better, i just need to know the hints like i have said, so ne tricks you guys know of, plz post them

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
Take someone experienced with you.It's so easy to do on a two stroke, that a compression tester is worth the hassle to get and use.Put the bike up on a stand or crate.There should be no slop in the swing arm,the wheels should spin freely, and true,no wobbles.The spokes should be tight and all there,not broken.Take a little flash light and check the brake pads,make sure the rotors are not gouged.
Look for cracks in the sub frame and frame,especially under the engine.Look for missing fastners,bolts.The air cleaner and it's box should be very clean.
How far out is the clutch adjustment cable?
The chain and sprockets should be solid,and their nylon buffers.
The bars and grips should be pretty solid.Nothing wrong at all with new plastic.
Watch out for statements like "just redone", 'just gone through'.Of course,they have no receipts.
If the ad says "needs this " or "needs that" avoid it.
"Book " price means nothing unless the bike is perfect mechanically and asthetically. Good ;uck ! Doug

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
thanx alot for your input, ill prolly go to a near by dealer and find all those parts of the bike so i know exactly where to look when i get to see the bike im looking at, in the picture they have it already on a crate above teh ground which is good for the suspension i herd, but your right i dont know, maybe they just stuck it up there for the picture lol, ppl are sneaky alot. the guy at the local dealer said that if they have bored out the cylinder watch out because sometimes the o rings will wear much faster then a tock cylinder, he said stock cylinders are being made really good lately, (for the last few years) do youk now if boring out the cylinder could make the bike in worse shape, or does it really matter? ne thing you forgot or neone else know, i appreciate all input, i have ridden a smaller bike i have, we just got it cheap, it was in bad condition just a playbike and we never eally took care of it ourselves so i dont know where alota bike parts are.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
Modern cylinders aren't really designed to be bored.They have different sorts of plating done instead,and if cared for will last a LONG time.The only exception is if a top end was worn,and a liner was installed,not at all a negative.Again,Nebraska dude,that compression tester will give you the scoop on the top end's health. Doug

Top Bottom