Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I'm looking to get a hitch mounted carrier (figure having a way to move a new bike would be important). I've got a 2" receiver on my truck, but also have a topper, so a bike won't fit. And I'm not getting rid of the topper.

I've found a few places I could order on out of the US, but shipping would be expensive. Does anyone know of any Canadian online sites that carry them? I went to the local Yamaha dealership and they wanted $500 for a carrier.

If no distributors, does anyone have any plans for building one? I figure it'd be easy enough to build(or have made), but I'm a little unsure some of the finer details:

-Width of C-channel that the tires will sit on(I was thinking 4")
-Total length of the C-channel (how much longer than an average wheel base should I go?)
-How wide should the hooks to mount tie downs be from the center line of the bike?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

This is what I'm trying to build.
motorcycle-carrier-2.jpg

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Sapper33 said:
-Width of C-channel that the tires will sit on(I was thinking 4")

(NO- 6"")

-Total length of the C-channel (how much longer than an average wheel base should I go?)

(You don't need more than an inch or two on either end.)

-How wide should the hooks to mount tie downs be from the center line of the bike?

(Someone else will have to answer that.)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

This is what I'm trying to build.
motorcycle-carrier-2.jpg

I have one similar. Mine has an arm that holds the bike down, which makes it a snap with no ties down to deal with (tire ties however).

Since I've used a similar system for bicycles, I preferred the arm method. It also avoids having a bike drop down on me while I balance it and tie it down. It is slick. I ordered it on-line (addabike.com with the moderators permission).

I also have a 2" receiver....

The carriers sold based on the size of the bike-which really was relational to the load your hitch receptical could carry. The carrier is 6" in width from outside of hardened aluminum to outside. The "C" sidewalls are 1/4 " (Thus the inner is 5 1/2".) I've carried each of my bikes on it, but again, mine are light bikes with itty tires.

Somebody more techy can probably carry it from here. But, I love mine. I bought it after I completely overhauled my flatbed trailer with new wood, new lights and a new paint job, and have never regretted buying the single carrier. So much easier for a single bike.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I use my truck for everything: camping, junk hauling, carrying the dog in, getting groceries.

I like being able to lock up the stuff in the box, plus not having stuff fly out going down the road(especially my dog). It's also really nice in the winter, being able to leave stuff in the box, and not have it sitting in 2' of snow. I've though about it, and the benefits of keeping my topper on seem to outweigh not being able to put big toys in the back.

I came up with a design, and with that bit of input I guess I'm pretty close. I'm figuring 12" either way of the bike would give me less than a 75* angle(using a YZ as a guide), and even less once the fork gets compressed a bit. I guess it'd be be easy enough to switch to a 6" C-channel. I'm also figuring 66" long. That way it doesn't stickout from the sides of my old Toyota.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
Me and my dad welded up our own, only takes like ~50 bucks materials. Definately worth buidling your own casue its cheaper and you can make it to your own specs. sorry, dont have plans because we made it from scratch.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
I wonder if the brake lights would be visible with that thing on there. What happens if someone rearends you because they didn't see stoplights? I would add auxilliary trailer lights to it for that reason. Maybe I am just paranoid because I design rearlamps and headlamps for a living. Just my 2 cents.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
HAYSHAKER170 said:
I wonder if the brake lights would be visible with that thing on there. What happens if someone rearends you because they didn't see stoplights? I would add auxilliary trailer lights to it for that reason. Maybe I am just paranoid because I design rearlamps and headlamps for a living. Just my 2 cents.

We put big reflectors on it

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Ah the joys of Princess auto, I can get a trailer light kit for under $20, so depending on how everything lines up once done, it would be pretty easy to add lights

Top Bottom