headbanger

May 7, 2000
Looking at getting a new helmet. How is the AC-X1, venting looks good but does it work any better than others (MSR system-X) ? Any good deals out there? Thanks guy's

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I finally got my AC-X1 after waiting well over a month and a half for it. There were issues with the company I ordered it from, but they made good on it. The helmet is extremely comfortable, much better than my HJC-CLX3. I got a good deal on mine, it was a christmas present :)
In all seriousness, MXS had them (don't know if they still do or not) for $160, which is a steal considering how nice this helmet is. A bit of a warning if you're going to do mail order, in the CLX3 I wore a size small, but in the AC-X1 I wear a medium. Be sure to check the sizing and order the correct size.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
The AC-X1 is a very nice helmet. It's light, has good venting, and is really comfortable. I've had mine about a year and I think it's one of the best helmets out there for the money.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
MX-South is still having a sale on the 2001 AC-X1, there is a new model called the AC-X1 Nero. I can't tell much difference. I have the 2001 model and I love it. Has an easy to remove headliner and cheek pads. Plenty of venting ports and is extremely light compared to my CLX2 helmet.

They are also both Snell and DOT approved. Snell is one of the top ratings you can get. DOT is just standard testing while Snell approved helmets go through more rigorous test.

mountain

Jan 7, 2002
I went with the 2002 CL-X4 from hjcmotorcyclehelmets.com.
Same features as the AC-X1, but does not have the coolmax, and is a TAD heavier. (the X1 is SUPER light, so the extra 100 GRAMS did not really make that much of a diff w/ me)
The 2002 X1 is $180 on this site. They are out of the 2001's....
For $116(!!!), I got the 2002 X4, which still has lots of vents, VERY light, SNELL and DOT approved, and looks really cool (check the 2002's graphics)!
I think that was a STEAL, and I really love it. No CoolMax, but that's not worth $64 to me. Liners on the X4 also snap out for washing, and are VERY comfortable/ cushy.
I normally wear a Large, so that's what I ordered. It was orginally a little too tight on the cheeks, but it is starting to break in after about 10 rides w/ it,and a wash of the cheeck pads.
This site is a good site for prices though.....
I am VERY happy w/ my X4, which was $64 cheaper than the X1.

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
Mountain,
I read your post. After checking out the CL-X4 I am very interested. How is the helmet overall? Is it well vented? Do you recommend it? Is it very light? Is it easy to turn your head with a chest protector on? How is the visibility? Did you order it from HJC? How long did it take? How much was shipping? Sorry for all the questions, but I am very interested and would appreciate your help.
-Thanks

mountain

Jan 7, 2002
Here you go buddy,
I HIGHLY recommend it. Period.
I thought my write up was pretty detailed, but here is more...
It does not have the vent tubes along the top, like the X1 does, but it DOES have holes at the back, top, which do the same thing (evaporation cooling). It also has 4 other vents.

This helmet is VERY light. One thing I was looking for....

It is as easy as any other helmet that I have had to turn my head with CP on.

Visibility hole is very large, with goggle strap holders.

I ordered it from the site I referenced. $12 for shipping. Delivered in about 5 days.

My best suggestion is to go to the site, and check it out, under "off road helmets". I think it LOOKS Kick ASS!

Like I said, the X1 is the better model, with CoolMax, more vents, and a little lighter (100 grams, is like 3 ounces). I actually ordered both, and compared them at home. I sent the X1 back cause I just did not think the CoolMax lining and the extra venting was worth the $64 difference. The X4 was just as comfortable, and I think it will be just fine ventilation wise.
It gets VERY hot here in Texas, so we will see how good the vents work this summer, but I am very happy for now, and I think the price is a steal. I did a lot of checking, and this site is the cheapest you will find HJC helmets.
Glad to help.
Josh

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
Regarding the HJC CL-X4, I got a medium size as a gift, but it seems to fit a bit loose and I'm worried that it will only get more loose as it breaks in. I had the local dealership order me a small size to see how it fits. Does anyone know if you can get larger cheek pads, and is that a good way of creating a more snug fit?

Top Bottom