Noa

Jul 25, 2003
Hi, I was looking for a helmet and I saw the HJC ones and they were really cheap. I am really limited on money and was just wondering if the fox and thor ones are really worth the extra money and if anyone has had any experience w/them. Thanks.

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
I've been using an HJC CL4 for a couple years and like it. I've also been using HJC for my street helmets. They seem to be as good as more expensive brands and at a better price. I also have a CL4 for sale, new in box. Green design. XXL they seem to run a little small.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
HJC makes great lids at a great price. The CL4 is an outstanding value.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My whole family uses several different models of HJC's after using Shoei, Arai, and others over the years. They are a great product, great value. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase another in the future. :thumb:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am not sure what model your looking at, but the older ACX1 is very light. I bought one last year and really like it. The lack of weight makes it extremely comfortable.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Motosportoutlet.com has Thor SVR4 helmets for $60 and the Arai based Fly helmet for $100. Those are about as good a prices as you could hope for when it comes to decent helmets.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
ive got an HJC. its the same one that kids wearing in the dirtrider banner (look up lol) the yellow one haha. ive taken some hard hits and its held up great. id definately recommend it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by mxmatthew
ive taken some hard hits and its held up great.

If you've taken some hard hits do yourself a favour and pick up a new lid. Best NOT to push the limits of how many major impacts a helmet can take before losing it's effectiveness.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
yea i know but i think the time where i crashed worst the chin took the brunt of the hit. should you still get a new lid even if it was mostly the chin that took the hit?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mxmatthew, we replace the lid anytime the head takes a decent blow. I know they are expensive but I'd rather know the lid is going to do it's job the next time the kid or I crash than find out while one of us is in intensive care that the lid's protective abilities had been compromised.

Instaurare, so if you decide to underprotect yourself in one sport it should be all good in another? :think: And if you happen to endo the mountain bike and it flips over onto you how much does it weigh while it's sitting on your skull compared to your KDX?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I have an HJC CLX3 - a great helmet, will definitely buy another one - make sure you get one which has a removable interior - makes it easy to toss in the wash. Some of those really cheap helmets mentioned here do not have this option - yuck !

As to wearing a bicycle helemt, why bother. Have the bike just fall on you standing still, and it could crush your skull. I have a friend in a coma - brain dead, all because he did not wear a helemt :think:

As they say in the classics, if you have a 50 cent brain, a 50 cent helmet will do !

If you have no brain at all, then wearing a helmet is a moot point - better to let Darwinism take its course then :p

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I am not sure on helmets myself I mean if they are DOT and Snell 2000 certified is there any difference in protection?

I believe that once you get above the certications you are buying light wieght and designer series helmets. Is there any truth to this?

the wieght issue can be significant for your neck when pounding whoops or killer leaps but will it able to protect your head better in a crash? I know a fancy paint job won't help but how much different is the protection between a 100$ Fulmer or HJC helmet from a 600$ Shoei?

Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to tell the actual Cost per Protection since once a helmet passes its certification it passes. Anything above that certification is not clearly noted <atleast not to me>. Having a heavy Acrilic helmet might offer the same protection as a carbon/kevlar one at a slow speed bike landing on you type of crash but the lighter helmet could be a serious benefit when having inertia working against you.I also believe since no two crashes and no two people are the same you can't really look at history as a deciding factor on protection.

Just some random thoughts and the question" Is there any documentation on helmet protection once you get past Snell 2000?"

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
DOT is the honor system of compliance of construction, SNELL is closely monitered. In addition, I know with my car helmet it's fire rated.

Instaurare, sorry for hammering the issue - I've had over 50 stitches in my head from bicycle racing in the the 70's so I'm a bit conservative @ 40 regarding helmets.

Back to the original topic - the HJC is a good helmet for the $$, I own one that I used in '01. :thumb:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
To me the real benefit of more expensive helmets are things like the venting system, removable liners, removable breath boxes, etc. Fancy paint jobs are personal taste and get pricey but since I'm not a pro I don't care about those.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I thought DOT recquirements are only for street ridden purposes hence DOT. the testing used for the DOT and the testing for Snell I belive are two different types of tests <DOT using a spike to see how much penetration protection while Snell sees how much it takes to crush the helmet>
Snell is a much more stringent test in that if you see a helmet that is Snell it is going to be DOT or is it just that any helmet that is sold with a Snell sticker is meant for motorsport use and the helmet manufacture intended idea is for street use also.

Anyway you do want a helmet that carries both stickers, DOT so you are legal on the roads even if for the odd chance of an striclty offroader heading out on the back of someone else's bike and the Snell for a more stringent protection test.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You must at least have the DOT to were the helmet on the road. Not just to be legal, but testing. DOT testing does not mean a whole lot. There program is just not up to date and comprehensive from what I've heard. The snell test is more through. I would rather have both as the DOT may include some type of test the snell doesn't, but I have had to choose a helment with on or the other money would be on the snell.

Anyway, what kind of flame is this? Shouldn't this be in the product reveiw section? I'll start the flame

HJC helmets blow big ol'donky chunks :scream:

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Always wore Shoei - Tried HJC and was pleasantly surprised - removeable liner, great looking - DOT/Snell approved - the model I chose.

Aloooooooha!!!!
TrailTramp

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think HJC makes Thor's helmets. I've been happy with my street and dirt HJCs. The differences between a $150 HJC and a $400 Shoei are mostly cosmetic, given that both are DOT/Snell approved. I've tested the chin guard on my dirt helmet going about 20mph and all that happened was the chrome/plastic piece (which I can replace) broke. If you're on a budget in regards to a helmet HJC is a good way to go, IMO. Happy shopping. :thumb:

Top Bottom