bradb.

Jan 3, 2008
Ok I have to admit Im a little new to the dirt bike world. Heres my problem I bought a used 2004 yz450f and about a week later i noticed that the front wheel bearings was loose so i went and bought a new set and put them in my self. I took the bike out for a test run and noticed the the front wheel starts wigling back and forth when you get around 50 or 60 mph kinda like when you pop up on a wheelie on a crouch rockit and come back down the front wheel some time does the tank slaper. The dirt bike isnt that bad but still makes you feel uncomfortable. I also noticed that the end cap on the left front fork had some play in it (im not sure what you call that end cap its the peice that the brake caliber and axel connects to) is there any way to tighten it? Maybe this is the problem im not for sure. Any help will be appreshated :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
First, a speed wobble is not that uncommon and can be corrected once everything is in proper working order.
The lower section of your fork that the axel and caliper attach to should be tight on the fork leg. Please make sure and correct this issue before continuing to ride. A failure of this part could lead to serious injury.
Go to the Yamaha web site and do a parts look up on your bike. The online feature allows you to look at a parts break down of every component. You can easily magnify each view so as to see every part in the assembly. Then identify what is actually loose.
Remove the fork leg from the bike and inspect it closely. I believe that there are set screws that hold "the end cap" you are discribing in place. Most riders never have to remove this part and most suspension shops would only remove it in extreme cases. If the shiny fork leg twists, wiggles, or slides in this lower assembly, repair it or send it to a reputable suspension shop. Solving this problem may not stop the high speed wobble but will allow you to diagnose and properly correct the highspeed wobble. Without repairing the lower assembly, you will likely chase your tail trying to fix the symptom and possibly get seriously injured in the process.

Top Bottom