ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Just got the latest issue of Dirt Rider in the mail, the one with the "4 stroke shoot out". The first thing that I noticed about the magazine was the fact that it had numerous, including a full back cover add, Yamaha and Honda adds. Before reading the 4 stroke article I read an article on the '02 450 CRF, an article about a modified CRF I believe by White Brothers. In the article it talked about modifying the CRF so that it would run with the KTM's and at the end gave a price tag of 3800(+/-) for the necessary modifications. Thinking that this was interesting angle I proceeded to the 4 stroke shoot out. I was a bit stunned by the article. Although the KTM's (400 and 520 SX) ranked well Dirt Rider still ranked both the Yamaha and Honda ahead of the KTM 520 as a motocross ride saying that although the 520 was the powerhouse of the shoot out that the suspension needed adjustment to be competitive with the two Japanese bikes and the seat was hard. Hmmmmmmm, well lets see buy a seat from SDG about $100.00, and get the suspension tuned for you as an individual $400-1100.00 you have a max of $1500.00 into the 520 in after market parts and have the best in class, no doubt or as Dirt Rider points out in another article in the same magazine spend another $2300.00 or $3800.00 on the Honda for engine mods so that it will run closer to the KTM. Last time I checked the retail of the 520 and CRF were pretty close. Can buy a lot of gear for $2300.00 and the orange bikes look better. Perhaps Dirt Rider has a bias based on who spends the most dollars advertising with them, there was not a KTM add in the issue littered with Honda and Yamaha adds, hmmmmmmm. :think

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't too long ago they did their first test and said the suspension was too stiff. ??? I guess ad money softens it up a bit.

380ePete

Dec 27, 2000
Good point ktm033. Seeing as most bigger riders would need to get the suspension done anyway, regardless of which bike they purchased, you might as well save money and buy the faster bike.

I can see their point about the seat. it is pretty hard. But how often are you sitting down in a moto anyway? Besides in the corners.

I take these shootouts with a grain of salt anyway. They always seem biased toward the jap bikes which I believe pay them a LOT of dough for these ads. Probably a little to much if you take my meaning.

Is this turning into a flame?:)

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Pete,

Probably is a flame, just had to post it somewhere this morning, was not a very happy camper, figured I would shoot for the sympathetic audience!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No it's not a flame yet but has the makings of one.
-Stupid reasoning for placement of bike.
-Silly justification of why they were placed that way.
-Stinks of typical advertiser payola.

Get a match and some of Rich's special blend fuel and this sucker will burn.;)

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
"holy grail"

anyone ever notice that the newest & latest great new thumper on the market is ALWAYS awarded the highest possible praise, even before it makes it to the market?
virtually all the recent new four strokes seem to have received overwhelming (and undeserved) praise at expense of other worthwhile competitive models.
how else could these "holy grail" type bikes be so awesome this season, yet by next year need so much invested to modify them to be barely ridable...
ie. yz400/426-" bike of year/decade"-look at the size of the aftermarket "fixes" for this one model alone. perhaps mag editors really just need to produce a product to sell(and advert dollars don't hurt their bottom line either)

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I've never paid any attention to shootouts. I usually buy the mags for the pretty pictures. I do favor Dirt Rider mag since they seem to give off road racing more attention. Dirt Bike is a long time favorite. Motocross Action still sucks.

Top Bottom