Holes in the expansion chamber..

RM125Guy

Jun 30, 2001
I was at the High point race yesterday and I don't know if it was just me but I could have sworn Ricky and his teamates had holes in their pipes. They were on the bend at the front of the bike they looked to be drilled about 1/4-1/2 inch each and there were quite a few of them. Are these indeed holes and what purpose do they serve???

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
The holes were probably plugged from testing, I know Honda has done this for pipe temp testing, etc,,,,,

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Maybe it was like we did when we were kids. Remember putting playing cards in the spokes?

Honestly, what if they found weak spots in their pipes? The holes may have been used to stop drill the cracks from getting bigger.

I still like the "testing" idea better.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Those holes are water-mud drains for his pipe guard. At least that was my first thought, but after seeing the pics from High point and the location of the holes in the front of the guard. It's my guess it's too help keep the pipe temp down while using the guards for protection. As the tuning of a pipe in part relies on it's temp. Those guards without holes could insulate well enough to change the tuned length of the pipe. That would then shift the powerband up towards the top end and take the motor out of the optimum spec, they found when testing without the pipe guards. 

Last edited:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Would these be the holes your talking about? Steve is right they're just air openings to keep the exhaust temp. within spec.

Attachments

• rcbike.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 162
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…