Hollister 06-02-01

I was there last weekend but for an Over the Hill Gang MX race up at the GP track.

Why not call the ranger station and ask? they are also suppose to start voluntary sound checks, might want to ask about that also.

Want some good news.......they have secured the land to expand the park. Efforts are under way to add alot more riding area. They are also looking for input on type of trails etc. Next time you are there fill out a survey card!

and if you are into any type of MX rides, check us out at WWW.OTHGMX.com. Most of the riders are over 30, but we also have a womens class, and support classes for everything from 50's to pro!

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
Why don't you come up to Middle Creek on Sunday? Kalitude, myself, my wife & fremontguy so far. Nice easy day - fireroads, easy trails - lunch somewhere on trail.

Brian

well middle creek allows all red sticker bike all year long and they have camp grounds... maybe we'll end up camping up there :)

Where is middle Creek? Ok for beginners? What about kids? My 10 year old and myself have only been on the dirt 3 times... so it cant b too challenging for my son at least.

Otherwise I will venture out to Hollister Hills for the first time to check it out.

;) maybe Hollister on Saturday and Middle Creek on Sunday?

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
Mendocino NF map says Middle Creek CG has 8 spots - apparently I can't count & my powers of observation are somewhat lacking. I'd swear there are more than 8 spots.

There is a small, fenced beginner area at Middle Creek cg & there is some limited beginner riding in the river bed. Sled Ridge up to Penny Pines is NOT for a beginner. All the beginner trails are up hill at Penny Pines - ~6 miles up the road (street legal) from Middle Creek. I think a beginner would have an excellent time at Middle Creek/Penny Pines.

See the other thread for directions - NorCal - Middle Creek June 10th

Brian

sweet kali!
did kevin have a chance to change out the springs before he left today?

I'm also debating if we should camp at middle creek or not. I'm bringing along two friends that won't be riding but would like to come camping, I'm not sure if the middle creek camping grounds would be a good place for them since they won't be riding.. like will they be able to hike & stuff like that, and is the camp grounds some what secluded, ect..

anyone know how the camping grounds are out there?

Thanks

yikes, that sucks.
well maybe if you can find a 13/14 alen wrench you can tighten up the forks some what so they won't be as soft.

ah so it's not the big hex thing on the bottom of the forks? I swear it was.. but I've never done it, I've just RTFM on it :]

NVR FNSH

Subscriber
kx100,
If you are bringing non-riding friends then you want to camp up the hill at Penny Pines. I've never been to the Penny Pines campground so I don't know what facilities are available.

Email me at brian4wd@hotmail.com with your ph# if you want - I can check the NF map if you'd like. The map is in my truck.

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Penny Pines has some tables and fire rings and porta-potties, but no running water, improved camp sites or waste hook-ups. You have to drive up a dirt hill on the left side of the road to get up to camping area, but it is not real steep, long or rough. The road up from CC camp to Penny Pines is a pretty long climb. PP is rustic but much closer to the good trails near the north of the riding area than CC Camp, such as trail 38.

There have been some new trails added that are not yet on the maps (maps are available at Penny Pines).

You might also consider camping at Deer Valley - it is about 4 miles off the main paved road, but is wooded and pretty. Some of the newer good trails are in that area.

thanks dirt bike dave,
would you recommened Penny Pines or Deer Valley for a few friends of mine that are non-riders, they will just be camping and not riding.

kali, now I'm not sure.. where "this" is yet.. heh