simimi

Dec 20, 2000
I was there last weekend but for an Over the Hill Gang MX race up at the GP track.

Why not call the ranger station and ask? they are also suppose to start voluntary sound checks, might want to ask about that also.

Want some good news.......they have secured the land to expand the park. Efforts are under way to add alot more riding area. They are also looking for input on type of trails etc. Next time you are there fill out a survey card!

and if you are into any type of MX rides, check us out at WWW.OTHGMX.com. Most of the riders are over 30, but we also have a womens class, and support classes for everything from 50's to pro!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Why don't you come up to Middle Creek on Sunday? Kalitude, myself, my wife & fremontguy so far. Nice easy day - fireroads, easy trails - lunch somewhere on trail.

Brian

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
well middle creek allows all red sticker bike all year long and they have camp grounds... maybe we'll end up camping up there :)

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
Where is middle Creek? Ok for beginners? What about kids? My 10 year old and myself have only been on the dirt 3 times... so it cant b too challenging for my son at least.

Otherwise I will venture out to Hollister Hills for the first time to check it out.

;) maybe Hollister on Saturday and Middle Creek on Sunday?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Mendocino NF map says Middle Creek CG has 8 spots - apparently I can't count & my powers of observation are somewhat lacking. I'd swear there are more than 8 spots.

There is a small, fenced beginner area at Middle Creek cg & there is some limited beginner riding in the river bed. Sled Ridge up to Penny Pines is NOT for a beginner. All the beginner trails are up hill at Penny Pines - ~6 miles up the road (street legal) from Middle Creek. I think a beginner would have an excellent time at Middle Creek/Penny Pines.

See the other thread for directions - NorCal - Middle Creek June 10th

Brian

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
sweet kali!
did kevin have a chance to change out the springs before he left today?

I'm also debating if we should camp at middle creek or not. I'm bringing along two friends that won't be riding but would like to come camping, I'm not sure if the middle creek camping grounds would be a good place for them since they won't be riding.. like will they be able to hike & stuff like that, and is the camp grounds some what secluded, ect..

anyone know how the camping grounds are out there?

Thanks

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
yikes, that sucks.
well maybe if you can find a 13/14 alen wrench you can tighten up the forks some what so they won't be as soft.

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
ah so it's not the big hex thing on the bottom of the forks? I swear it was.. but I've never done it, I've just RTFM on it :]

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
kx100,
If you are bringing non-riding friends then you want to camp up the hill at Penny Pines. I've never been to the Penny Pines campground so I don't know what facilities are available.

Email me at brian4wd@hotmail.com with your ph# if you want - I can check the NF map if you'd like. The map is in my truck.

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Penny Pines has some tables and fire rings and porta-potties, but no running water, improved camp sites or waste hook-ups. You have to drive up a dirt hill on the left side of the road to get up to camping area, but it is not real steep, long or rough. The road up from CC camp to Penny Pines is a pretty long climb. PP is rustic but much closer to the good trails near the north of the riding area than CC Camp, such as trail 38.

There have been some new trails added that are not yet on the maps (maps are available at Penny Pines).

You might also consider camping at Deer Valley - it is about 4 miles off the main paved road, but is wooded and pretty. Some of the newer good trails are in that area.

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
thanks dirt bike dave,
would you recommened Penny Pines or Deer Valley for a few friends of mine that are non-riders, they will just be camping and not riding.

kali, now I'm not sure.. where "this" is yet.. heh

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
ahh.. when I meant "this"
I was debating over either Deer Valley CG or Penny Pines CG at the mendocino national forest. Hollister is out of the picture :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
kx100 - go to Deer Creek if you are bringing non-riders - sorry but I had forgotten about Deer Creek cg. It is easialy accesible by car but I don't think it gets a lot of day use by m/c riders - it adds a bit too much to the drive for day use IMO. I'm guessing it takes 30 minutes in a car to go from Middle Creek CG to Deer Creek CG. Deer Creek is on a OHV (green sticker) corridor that goes all the way to Stonyford on the east side of Mendo NF. Will be a nice area for true beginners - ie your girlfriend that has ridden 2x. Kali, Anja (my wife) & I can park at Middle Creek cg and meet you at Deer Creek w/o any problem.

Kali - you can make it up & down Sled Ridge w/o a problem. It's all throttle control. That, and I saw you riding the trails at Elkins Flat:p I'll make you a deal - if you can't ride down it I'll go get your truck and come get you. Or you can ride my street legal WR down the road & I'll take your TTR & run the risk of a ticket or ride it down Sled Ridge. I really don't think you will have any problem.

I'm pretty familiar with the trails and we WON'T be hitting #38 with this crew:( There are lots of beginner trails that are really fun.

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
KX100- your private message box is full.

For just camping, I would recommend Deer Valley. Both are wooded and pretty, but DV is more camping oriented while PP is more of a day use area, just off the main road, with lots of nearby trails. It is less of a climb to DV but maybe a slightly longer drive, 4+ miles of dirt road.

Usually, I stage at PP (no camping), but ride through DV on some good loops. You can easily do 50+ mile loops at Middle Creek. Some of the single tracks are fairly level and not too demanding - fun for most skill levels. If you get your maps, Trail 8 has been extended from Trail 1 intersection all the way out to Deer Valley, so you can connect areas without riding the road. Also, there is a good trail running southeast away from Deer Valley, close to the road.

Most of the trails are rated intermediate but are pretty easy - the black diamonds have some stretches that are too much for beginners, although Trail 38 is a blast. Green circles (easiest) trails are wide and level, but usually whooped out.

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
sweet, thanks for the tip dbd.
NVR FNSH, my KX '01 has a red sticker, is Deer Creek gonna give me a hard time about that?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave,
The trail that runs SE from Deer Creek parallels the OHV corridor and connects to #6(i think). #6 is kinda out in the middle between MC/PP/DV & Stonyford. Anja & I rode it the last time we were there & saw 2 other bikes out there. #6 is not a beginner trail but it is fun.

I'm so excited I think I'm going to go home & make sure my bike runs:)

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave,
The trail that runs SE from Deer Creek parallels the OHV corridor and connects to #6(i think). #6 is kinda out in the middle between MC/PP/DV & Stonyford. Anja & I rode it the last time we were there & saw 2 other bikes out there. #6 is not a beginner trail but it is fun.

I'm so excited I think I'm going to go home & make sure my bike runs:)

kx100 - Mendocino NF is open year round to red stickers. All the areas we have been talking about are in Mendo NF.

Brian

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Brian - yes, that is a fun loop. Once you get from trail #6 to the road, you can do about 5 road miles north through crabtree hot springs and eventually find another one of the newer trails (#35, I think). It is long (10+ miles?) and very fun, similar to Trail 38. It takes you across the river then back west, north of Pogues Peak and to the main Middle Creek trail network. If you haven't ridden that, let me know and I can give a better description when I get home using the maps. It might be too tough for the beginners.

There is also a way to hook the eastern portion of Trail 38 up with the roads and eventually drop south to the new trail (after about 6 miles of road). Lots of opportunities for long loops if you don't mind a little road.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave - when are you coming up to Middle Creek? Anja & I missed the new trail from down by Bear Valley CG ( we stopped for lunch there) to #17. I think I saw where it hits the road but I'm not sure.

Brian

Top Bottom