bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
What can anyonetell me about this event? Entry fee? mandatory riding gear? how long? how far? safe for an agressive beginner? I only have about 20 hours on the dirt. someone please let me know, as I am considering entering on Sunday but will not have time to practice on Saturday.

Thanx,
Matt

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
Elkins Flat
I was planning on July 1st (sunday) I may work some OT on the 30th to pay for my engine work to be done and rims on hold at BBR. Will you all be there for the day only on Saturday the 30th?

But I may be able to make it on Saturday if I know there are others to ride with not in the class. I cant afford to pay for a class although I would love to participate. Just dont want to ride alone... not to mention in a new area.

Hollister Hills Family Scramble
I understand so far that its a timed loop, 2.5 miles, 40 minutes. Is it multiple riders at once or staged for times? Its on lower ranch and adobe areas which I think is fairly flat. but I've only been on these trails once. Are they usually marked well, or do you need to know the trials well.

Have to be a member of HHORA $10, and entrace fee is $35, sign in at 7:15 on Sunday the 24th.

Trophies provided.

My main question is what class? I understand class B & C is my age group 30-39, but what about riding ability. considering I only have about 20 hours experience on the dirt, I dont want to pay the entrance fee to compete against much more experienced riders.

Any help you all can provide is appreciated. ;) (I'd like one of those)

PS: Oh... what about number plates... do I need to stick numbers on my bike for the event?

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Bulldog,

You don't need number plates. Explain to the sign up people your skill level and they will put you in the appropriate class.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I did this for my first race last year- what a blast!!! I only wish I could do it again this year. I raced in the support race (beginner), which was cool. I think any age can race the Beginner class. "C" would have been fine also. If I hadn't gone off the side of a steep trail, I might have even trophied!!! Or not, I sure remember being fast ;)

Yeah, they start you one at a time (way less intimidating). The trails were very well marked (it is Hollister, afterall), and there were plenty of flaggers on the trail to warn of any dangerous sections. Last year it was at the upper ranch (very nice trails up there), but it's at the lower ranch this year? Have no fear, those trails are plenty easy. I couldn't believe it when they waived me off after my last lap. I had hardly even broken a sweat. Don't worry about numbers- they assign you one on a peice of paper that you tape to your front plate, and a bar code for your helmet.

Most important thing to remember- Have fun. Don't be scared or nervous, everybody at the event was so friendly. I even met a fellow DRN'er there (angryjim). He's easy to spot- long black hair under a cueball helmet, riding a KTM.

Good luck!!! And don't forget to give us a report! :)

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Hey dude, I got a new helmet!
This race starts with 10 riders per row, dead engine. It'll be hot, but the course should be easy. The last few races, they havn't had a C class for your age group. Better try D or beginner to be safe.

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
angry Jim,

any thought to weather its better to go class C in my age group or beginner which is 16 and up. Got everything dialed in and the truck loaded so if I can get up in the morning I'll be there.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I suggest going for your age group, the younger crowd will be more aggressive and riding on the edge. I think you would enjoy riding more with people in your age group, though the skill level of the older riders will be higher. I did not even realize there was a D class. :think

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Bulldog
Sorry I didn't reply, but I was off the computer for a while. The race was today, how'd you do? The track was fun don't you think?

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
The race was a blast... a little more technical or tight than I expected. I went with the Beginner class. last race of the day. and went down 3 times in the first 1/2 of the first lap... Tose front brakes work damn well. need a little practice... bad habit of 90% front brakes on the street.

I finished 20th out of 24 & 79 out of 97 overall for beginners... but I missed getting a 5th lap by about 30 seconds. They closed the course two riders in front of me so I was third off the track.

I'd like to do it again but with others in my skill level so it can be a little more competative. I know quite a few of the riders in the last race were very experienced. 3rd place rider just took 1st place on the GP track recently, and 4th place was telling me he used to ride pro.

All in all a great experience. a LOT of terrain I've never seen... mud, silt, off camber turns - ascending and decending, I've been pretty much putting around the trails so far so thius is the hardest I've ridden to date. Finally found the rev limiter today. :)

I'm not sure how many were in the class C group 30-39 but I may have had a better chance of trophying since they were passing them oit up to 11th and 12th place.

I'll have to practice quite a bit more for October... I dont know if I can last 90 minutes.

Top Bottom