Honda Accord cutting out around turns. HELP!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My trusty hauling vehicle, a 1993 Honda Accord 2.2 4cyl, has become VERY sensitive to low fuel. When it has abour 1/8 of a tank ful of gas, the engine cuts out around sharp right hand turns. It used to not do this until a few months ago. It has 173,200 miles on it and generally runs great except for this new little issue. After I fill it up with gas, the problem is gone completely. I can get on the gas HARD and it doesn't miss a beat until the fuel gets down to 1/8 of a tank again.

Any ideas?? Wrench?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Keep the tank above 1/8 full. I'll send ya' a invoice.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Many vehicles have a main fuel pump AND whats known as a pre-pump. The pre-pump is mounted in tank. A bad pre-pump could cause these symptoms. I cant remember if your model Honda has one, but that might be a good place to start. Hope this helps. Kelly (logged in @Zio's computer)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I think it does have a pump in the tank. Could it just be the strainer on the pump? Could this be changed?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by zio
Kelly (logged in @Zio's computer)

Is this one of Zio's multiple personalities??

Re: the filter ... Not that I remember ... go to a parts store and check out the procedure in a Chilton manual. Pretent to be thumbing through the manual and check to see if the procedure is too dificult to remember. If not put the manual back and save the $$. Be sure to thank Manny, Moe and Jack on the way out. :laugh:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Kelly is my feminine side. She's high-maintenance, but worth keeping around because she's an ASE certified mechanic.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
So, do you all think it's a fuel pick up problem caused by either a clogged screen or a bad primary pump?

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
maybe the pickup screen is clogged on the bottom so it cant completely drain the tank? or it could have moved somehow, so its slightly above the bottom of the tank. either way if it runs fine full of gas I'd say forget it and keep it full, removing the tank/pump isnt fun.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Turn the idle up and remember to clutch it when entering the turns :think: :thumb:

What did you ever do with those boots Mike??

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
MikeT,

Possible causes:

1) Check the bottom of the tank to see if it is dented, causeing the sending unit to send an improper fuel level reading.
2) Faulty fuel sending unit, You are actually below 1/8 tank. (My S-10 has this exact problem also @1/8 full reading. I opted for Patmans solution, since I am too lazy to drop the tank and replace it.)
3) Baffle in tank has come loose, allowing fuel to "slosh" away from the pickup when a low fuel condition exists.

As for the primary fuel pump ... Turning left or right should not effect it's function/performance. A bad primary pump is usually associated with a hard/long start condition.

Since you say that it ONLY happens once the tank is down to 1/8th, I would not think it is an electrical problem.
Hope this helps,

wrench

Top Bottom