Nightcrawler

May 18, 2013
Hey guys last weekend i went riding for a couple hours mainly on dirt tracks but also a few sand dunes. Starting getting low on fuel so rode back to my ute and tried to kickstart again but it wouldnt start.

Took the carby off yesterday and cleaned it, pilot jet was clogged. New spark plug, airfilter, fuel hose and put an inline filter on so that might help with the carby jets getting clogged. Anyway it still wont start any ideas? Spark plug is wet everytime i take it out and after a few kicks fuel starts leaking from carby drain lines, it also seems to be getting spark.

Im going to try draining the fuel tank tomorow and put some fresh 32:1 mix in.

Bike is Honda Cr125 96

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
First thing to do at carb settings is the to set the float level.

How much time has the top end in your bike, i.e. last time You changed piston or if you bought the bike from someone has he shown you receipts to prove that the top end was really done?

Nightcrawler

May 18, 2013
The topend was changed recently, about 6hrs riding on it now. Checked the compression by placing my finger over the sparkplug hole and it seems good. I'm really starting to think its the sparkplug because the carby is getting fuel and air, I don't know maybe I bought a dodgy sparkplug, I see alot of guys are using those BR9EG ones I might try one of them and see how I go.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Checking compression with a Finger is not a compression test or can your finger hold and measure 100psi which would mean a shot top end or 150 to 160 which is a normal range or even 170 to 180psi which would be a newly done top end?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
not to worry its quite a good tool. I use it after rebuilt of the topend. My YZ250 engines give me 220 to 225 cold without having run, and after the first run 230 to 240psi. When rebuilding I look after the piston clearance it makes a big difference.

Nightcrawler

May 18, 2013
Okay done a compression test and getting 150psi with cold engine.
Checked for spark and can see a blue spark.
Still wont start :(

I can't even push start the bike anymore, rear wheel locks up when in gear and clutch pulled in. Also when I turn the petcock on after a few mins fuel starts p*ssing out of carby overflow

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I think you are perhaps flooded. Check your needle valve and seat, it is not sealing off fuel flow when floats raised. May need to be cleaned or replaced. you might need to pull the plug and let the engine air out or turn off fuel petcock, drain carb (and clean needle valve and seat) pull plug and let air out, gently turning engine over every 10 minutes or so. Once you get carb to shut off fuel flow properly, stick a new plug in it and try again.

Nightcrawler

May 18, 2013
I removed the carby and cleaned the little valve, readjusted float level as I was bending the wrong bit of metal. Fuel doesn't leak out anymore all good now. Anyway i took the reeds out and their was like a oil/water substance on them so cleaned them then removed exhaust and found half a litre of water in it lol. While I had the exhaust off I noticed that this oil/water substance was everywhere inside the engine. Put it all back together tried to kickstart, wouldn't kick over so got the old boy to pull me behind his car and she fired up. Warmed the engine, choke off and she went fine in every gear 1st-6th I thought I had cleaned all the crap out of the engine after riding wot for a bit then as I was coming back it started revving very high and white smoke was coming out of engine so I quickly stalled it and now cranking it over with sparkplug out coolant comes out lol so I'm guessing I blew a head gasket and probably blew the engine up.

Nightcrawler

May 18, 2013
Thanks for your help guys ive ordered the parts online and going to rebuild the top and bottom end, also going to bore the cylinder to 55mm. Peace out

Top Bottom