cw242

May 17, 2000
i have only seen about 1" of magazine space about this,,, should i expect it in feb.??????? any ideas at all are greatly appreciated...im waiting somewhat patiently!!!! cw

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
- Alloy frame based on '01 CR125 frame
- 212lb claimed dry weight
- 77mm bore/ 54mm stroke
- Electrically contolled double VTEC variable cam timing
- Four valve (non RFVC) DOHC head design with titanium valves.
- claimed power (at crank): 44ps at 11,000 rpm
- rev limit: 14,000rpm
- Keihin 37mm FlatCR carburetor

How's that for ideas? Reality may change specifications without notice ;)

honda bob

Jun 1, 2001
Is this CR250F stuff reality or are you guys just dreaming.
If I was in charge of the CR250F designing, I would do this.

3rd generationCR125 frame
CRF450 unicam design
4 titanium valves
at least 40 hp
rev limit at 13-14000RPM's
as light as a 02CR125 and faster
and some type of 2barol carb would be nice imagine the power band hit it would have!
and a off road CR250F would be very nice

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by honda bob
and some type of 2barol carb would be nice imagine the power band hit it would have!

Say what????????????

offroad toad

Aug 3, 2001
I think they should turn the head around so the exhaust comes out the back, that way the header pipe lenth will be way too short to tune correctly and the exhaust will bake the shock. ;) Oh yeah someone already did that. :scream:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Honda has already "been there, done that" with regard to the "two-barrel" pipe dream. Remember the '85 XR250R? It did produce more HP than the '86 "single carb" model. I wonder why they did not continue to refine their idea?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Honda used twin carbs on many of their single cylinder XRs in the early '80s, including the 200R, 250, 350 and 500. IMO the extra cost and complication of the twin carbs was why they stopped using it.

Seems like the factories and tuners have figured out how to use single carbs, so I expect the next step is fuel injection, and there will be no return to dual carbs.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by honda bob
Is this CR250F stuff reality or are you guys just dreaming.
If I was in charge of the CR250F designing, I would do this.

3rd generationCR125 frame
CRF450 unicam design
4 titanium valves
at least 40 hp
rev limit at 13-14000RPM's
as light as a 02CR125 and faster
and a off road CR250F would be very nice
How about these little tidbits?

fuel injection (for perfect jetting and ease of tuning)
Continuously Variable Transmission (so you are always in the powerband)
Variable compression (like Saab)

Or we could just hope it will start decently...:p

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Yamaha had a twin-carb setup that was superior to anything else that I have seen. On their TT600 (and others?) circa 1983 Yamaha used a conventional carb on the left valve and a vacuum operated carb on the right valve. The right carb drew fuel from the left bowl (so did not use a float of it's own) and consisted of a single main jet. So simple! Very effective! The linkage was mechanical; at a certain throttle opening the right side butterfly would open.
I think this system might still be used on some of their overseas models, but don't really know.
Maybe this system could be revived for better starting of the new hot-rod four strokes.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I have rode both the 84 and 85 XR 350's, the 85 with the single carb was a better bike with more low end and much easier to fiddle with.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Honda never did get the dual carbs quite right. I had a 1983 XR350; bought it brand new, and just like teton says those dual carbs just were not up to standards.
I still have the 1983 TT600 with the abovementioned carb and a half. Works great, so it can be done!
But then, it's a Yamaha!:p
Hey Honda Bob; why do you want a Unicam?
Oh, and IDkTm you are too late! The Rokon used a variable belt drive in the 70s. Actually worked (sorta)! In fact the Rokon Trailbreaker still uses it (me thinks)!

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
. . . there will be no return to dual carbs.
Thank god! What a pain in the arse! Hated them dual carbs on my ol XR500 pig! Bad enough to jet one carb spot on, why fiddle with two!:silly:

I can't wait 'til they efi figgered out!:cool:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The BMW street bikes and a few others are EFI. It can be done, it's just a matter of cost and weight (EFI mandates a battery else it won't start). Of course once you get e-start ala KTM and a few other thumpers, then you have the battery. That and improved driveabity, especially at part throttle, means my bet is 4 stroke dual purpose and perhaps enduro bikes is where we'll see it first.

Since dirt bikes are off road use, the driving factor for cars (tightened emissions standards) hopefully won't be a factor. Anyone else ever work on a computer controlled Quadrajet? Yuk!

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by DougRoost
(EFI mandates a battery else it won't start).

Oh no wait.....Look at Arctic Crap, ooops, I mean Arctic Cat, snowmobiles Battery-less EFI system - No battery and starts on the second pull (once the fuel rail is loaded - first pull)

Hmmmmm?!?!??!

teton

Dec 13, 2000
On the soon to be landing GasGas 4-strokes there is no battery's for there E start system, kick start the frist time and as you ride some sort of thingamajig dodad is charged giving you power to use the E button the rest of the day. Should be quite light I'ed say !

Top Bottom