CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Wondered what you ladies thought of his bike?

I'm still looking for one for my daughter, currently 12, 5'6" and 110 lbs.

It's the perfect size for her, and the engine size would be great, but the weight is ~215 lbs. That's a within 15 lbs of the weight of a full size bike.

Thanks for your thoughts.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Does she have any prior riding experience? You may want to try finding something a little lighter that she can be comfortable on while she's learning to ride. Just a thought.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
It is a little heavy, have you thought about the big wheel versions of the DRZ,KLX and TTR 125's they are lighter, about the same seat height and you don't have to wait for the new model release date.

Kevin

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I think that the ttrl 125 is about 30-35 lbs lighter than the weight you listed for the crf 150. The seat height of the crf seems to be about 2-3 inches taller than the ttr.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
The CRF150 is a nice XR100 with a bigger motor and a (few) refinements. I had expected more, like an MX suspension and a stronger frame. Oh well.
... and you don't have to wait for the new model release date...
Uh, um ... the bike is out and on the floors in every Honda dealership. :silly: Next to the TTR125L the CRF shows itself as a better constructed bike, but next to the CR85Big-tire, It seems the bike should justify more than only $200.00 difference, Honda in my opinion should have put the 150 four motor in the 85 chassis and had a great small four stroke bike. A move up for those coming off xr80's and 100's. This is just my opinion, ... still think I'm going to get one for Lola though.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
She's got a couple hundred miles of mild to medium trail riding on an XR80.

The CRF is a couple inches higher than the TTR125L.

The TTR125L is about 35 pounds lighter, which is a lot. It's just that she's already just about outgrown it, and she's probably on here way to 5'8" of height.

I've considered everything - a detuned KX100, a Yama TTR125L, even a rebuilt 79 Suzuki 185.

Thx,
Dan

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
CO Dan get her a GasGas Pampera. Lower, lighter a stall proof motor with full size wheels and suspension. She'll thank you every time you ride together just like my wife does. It'll climb anything around in second gear smoothly and under control. Besides you'll only need one gas can this way!

toolman :thumb:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
OMG! You're right Lorin - The tt-r125L does have an electric start option for 2003!! I didn't believe it when i read your post so i had to go to the Yamaha page and check it out.

Nice - but i think this is more of a nicety on the bigger bore bikes. Wendy's tt-r125L turns over & starts so easy i can't imagine needing an electric start. +$200.

Now the electric start on the WR450f - that i would want! :)

btw: Wendy is 5'4" and loves her KX100 even though she has not had a chance to ride it too much. I do catch her in the garage just sitting on it making engine noises! :confused:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by KelvinKDX
I do catch her in the garage just sitting on it making engine noises! :confused:
Cool, I thought I was the only one that does that. But then again I am 34 years old.

I was thinking about the same 2 bike for the SO. I think we are leaning towards ttr because of weight and seat hight.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by thumbs
Cool, I thought I was the only one that does that. But then again I am 34 years old.

thumbs - what does being only 34 have anything to do with it??

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Maybe Thumbs thinks he's old/young enough to be going through his 2nd childhood?
KelvinKDX what happened to Wendy & the pampera? I take it she decided to go with the KX100? C'mon, more details lad, more details ;) (Wendy, where are you?) A new bike & no post boasting, this is not on girl ;)
We're not getting the CRF till early new year, but I know a number of women here are looking forward to seeing/trying them.

Dan, do check out the KX, but look at a post 98 model - if they even made them before? With the 80, I know they added powervalves at that point and I'm pretty sure they did with the 100 too. The other thing is it'll be easier to get longer dogbones & drop it if you need to (I wouldn't think you would, but I've seen plenty of posts about people who think the bikes are too tall for them when to me at 5'3" they should be way big enough - dunno).

I think the main thing to do though, is see if you can get her to test ride some bikes in the terrain she's used to, to see what she prefers. I would've loved a KX100, but had bought the YZ80 a week before one came up for sale (typical).

Good luck with your hunt & let us know how it goes.
Michelle

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
CO DAN...

I just move d my wife fronm a DRZ 125L to a KX 100.
The DRZ was gutless. It would chug up a mountain trail o.k., but no exceleration ...... a real turd.
She is 5'1", 100 pounds, 40 years old, and the DRZ was her first motorcycle. Sha had owned ATV's for 7 years, though, and is an avid snowmobiler (600 RMK until thbis year, moved to a 700 this year).

The KX100 had the jug shortened, some porting, a volume chamber added to the pipe, and a turbine core S.A. The result is a milder power band, wsith much better low end torque. The dealership that performed the mods, Carl's Cycles in Boise, has done several of them for gals. It really works great! We ride mountain trails, a lot of technical stuff. The bonuses of switching to this bike were a loss of 25 pounds, and a MUCH better suspension, not to much much better power to weght ratio. She really loves her new bike!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So Wendy got a KX! Cool! She took the CR 125 out for a spin on the grass track, did great and came back with a smile. That is a good sign it's time for a new bike.

We want pics and details!

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
about the older KX100's they started producing them in 95'. it was a nice bike i know a girl who had an 80 w/the 105 overbore who did very well in harescrambles. just remeber the 100 is taller than the standard KX80. lots of fun though, its the same bike (basically) from 95 till I believe98. im sure ya'll will correct if wrong :confused: when/if your rider wants more power i read a test a while back on wiseco offering a 118 kit(i think the cc's are right)for the yz80. it was for danny carlson when he was on 80's they may still offer above said kit for other brands as well, and dont forget that suspension companys are now pretty hip on offering lowering kits for the vertically challenged ;) hope i helped out.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
my 95 had one. it was right behind the left side foot peg(i know it was the old frame/body style) try moose racing they have bolt on kickstands for big bikes.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by sledman
And......speaking of the KX100....my wife REALLY wants a kickstand...any ideas anybody? The local shops say NO!

Sticks work in a pinch. :) :confused:

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Ya, so do trees, or she can lean it against my KDX220, BUT...she doesn't like those answers! She wants her own! AND...she usually gets what she wants!

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Yup. That's good for the garage, next to the truck, in the campgroud, etc....but when your on a mountain trail, or out in the desert, and she wants to ride away from the group to pee...SHE WANTS A KICKSTAND!

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
thanks again to all who offered advice and experience.

We've decided to find a nice, slightly used KX100. The deciding factor was the weight, or lack of it actually.

It'll get an FMF Q silencer, Eric Gorr's porting, a fly wheel weight and a gearing change, but I'm really looking forward to riding with my girl next spring.

Thanks,
Dan

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
You've been struggling with this question for a while so congrads on your decision! I SWEAR, the more I ride mine, the more I like it. The 10 oz fly wheel weight I got seems to work pretty good. I really haven't wanted to lower the stock gearing even for hill climbs; ya might want her to just try it like that first. Also, I hear that the newer models with the "power valve thingy" provide a little more torque. I'm curious: what's Eric Gorr's porting?

Top Bottom