RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Rigt now I ride an RT-100. It is slow, bad suspension, and I like the way four strokes sound. So I figured the CRF 230 might be the bike for me. I am about 5' 120lbs, and strong. Since it is only a 34'' seat height, I am tall enough. But why are these 4 strokes so dang heavy? 238lbs? Crimeny.
How do you think a CRF 230 with BBR stiff front and back sunpension springs and a pipe perform on a track? I already know it would do great in the woods.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
CRF230, think heavier XR200 with electric start and CR styling. You can draw your own conclusions as to it's track-worthiness from there.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The CRF230 is not my favorite of the bikes. Like you said it is very heavy for what it is, not a very strong motor, and as far as MX it doesn't stand a chance. The BBR fork and shock springs plus the pipe will help a lot. But the gearing, weight, and bike set-up just aren't there as far as MX. The motifications you would have to make to get a track ready bike out of that would be horrendous. I say you should look at some of the new 85's, maybe even one of the Kawasuki 100's.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The KX 100 would be my vote. May not "sound" as good as a 4 stroke, but is a LOT more bike than the CRF230. Works good on the track and in the woods.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
All the bikes that XRpredator listed are serious bikes. I do not recommend that you purchase any of those bikes until your bigger and have more experience.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I wouldn't get the 150 either. Its only a whole 3 or 4lbs lighter and I bet the 230 doesn't put out much more power any than the 150. They are play bikes. Detuned and undersuspended. Whats with the 150 w/ E-start? If you can't kick that bike over then grow some legs. I don't know why people want to spend tons of money putting after market everything on a bike thats nothing to begin with(esp. on the track). You like the sound of the 4 strokes and I think its cool too but a CRF's not going to give you that sound. More like a DR350(until higher revs). I think you should get a KX85 or RM80. A used TT-R125L would work if you get to big for it quick(and you will). The TT-R's are easy to find and cheap to buy used. Oh and get one w/o E-start if you do. If you must get a bigger bike a XR200 would be next but thats a lot of lbs compared to a RT.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
At only 5 foot (No offense) - You really wouldn't be very comfortable on something like a 250 CC 4stroker.

I would say to look into a kawa or suzuki 85 since they would be best in trails with powervalves, and killer at tracks as well with their killer low end. Or if you want the best of both worlds with a lot more power at the top end, look into a KX 100, RM 100 or KTM SX 105. Allthough I deffinetly suggeest sittin on a 100 before buying one to make sure you will be comfortable with the size.

RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
One More Thing, how often do the 85cc's require rebuilds? And how much do rebuilds cost? I only ride 1 to 2 times a month and I dont race or anything.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by RT100guy
One More Thing, how often do the 85cc's require rebuilds? And how much do rebuilds cost? I only ride 1 to 2 times a month and I dont race or anything.

1-2 times a month? you should barely have to rebuild an 80. Im pretty sure the average rebuild time on 80/85s are about 10-12 months, but with only 1-2 times a month, you shouldn't worry about rebuilding for a pretty long time. Not sure about the price though, hopefully somone else can help you out there. :)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
What do you mean by rebuild? The cost depends how much of the bike you want to rebuild.:) The top end? If so at that rate you might not have to rebuild in long time. It depends if you put around or go wide open all day. Also what condition the bikes in when you get it. A 4 stroke will need just as much service if not more than a 85. You'll get over the sound thing. Each 2 stroke sounds different. All the 4 strokes sound the same(besides a DS).

RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Sorry, also jsut for the top end, what components do they replace? They just do the piston and rings? I really don't know, I ride alot of trails. So how mcuh does a rebuild cost?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
No, you won't don't worry about the top end on 85's much esp. on trails. I ride just as often as you on trails and we never needed a top end on my 80. Its a '97 and its never been replaced(as far as I know). The bike was never raced either. Just keep it clean(piston, head, power valve) of carbon.

teamae

Jul 31, 2003
why is everyone always baggin on the 230. i have one and i think its great. sure its not the lightest bike, but its reliable and it does have power. its a great woods bike, and ive ridden it on the track. im plenty fats with it, and im probably not going to get another bike for a couple more years. maybe a crf250r. im 15/135 pounds/5-11

jjman9

Dec 14, 2003
0I have rode a lot of 230's, they are reliable, and they have decent power [Ive got one up in the high 60s low/mid 70s on concrete]
(I am 16 5'11'' 170lbs) I am looking into a new ride aswell...

---How would a 125cc MX bike compare to a 230 off road woods bike? (I just have experiance with o.r. bikes)

x CRFrider x

Jul 27, 2004
Everything I here about the CRF 230 is bad news. The thing is if your lookng for Moto then stick with the 2 strokes, but if your in to trails, hill climbing, and Xcountry riding then get a CRF 230.. I have one and i have no problem with it, its duriable, smooth, and fast. So what if it dosent hang with a CR250 or its heavy, Dont be a wuss and pick it up. It builds muscle.

Make your decsion but im sticking with my so called "horrible CRF 230"

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
For trail riding the CRF 230 is a million time sbetter than a KX 85 or 100- those bikes are too loud to be ridden anywhere except on a track- if one must use a KX for a trail bike it needs a very quiet muffler which will probably hurt waht little low end power they have - plus who wants to wind out a littel 85cc bike all day at 13,000 rpm when you can putt around on the 230 ?

I agree at race speeds or at fast trail pace the chassis is better on the MX bikes but that is not what he is going to do with the bike- go with the 230

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Because I am seal toss champion(for the moment) i can say these things with impunity

kx134

May 4, 2004
i think a 4 stroke 250 would be fine for you. They are fast but not deadly or anything.

I know one thing...a 4 stroke 250 mx bike and a kx 100 are going to both be WAY faster than a dt100...

how old are you and how much exp do you have?

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
ScottS: You are the soon to be ex-champion seal tosser! :)

A 230 is heavy because it is a $3400 bike. A bike is something that meets a price point when being designed.

The 150 does NOT have electric start, the 230 has both.

acold7dusta

Aug 17, 2004
TwoStroker said:
I wouldn't get the 150 either. Its only a whole 3 or 4lbs lighter and I bet the 230 doesn't put out much more power any than the 150. They are play bikes. Detuned and undersuspended. Whats with the 150 w/ E-start? If you can't kick that bike over then grow some legs. I don't know why people want to spend tons of money putting after market everything on a bike thats nothing to begin with(esp. on the track). You like the sound of the 4 strokes and I think its cool too but a CRF's not going to give you that sound. More like a DR350(until higher revs). I think you should get a KX85 or RM80. A used TT-R125L would work if you get to big for it quick(and you will). The TT-R's are easy to find and cheap to buy used. Oh and get one w/o E-start if you do. If you must get a bigger bike a XR200 would be next but thats a lot of lbs compared to a RT.

first of all the 230 puts out gobs more power than the 150. second the 230 has e-start, the 150 has kick. people spend money on these bikes cuz there a fun beginner bike that u tune up when u get better. all u need to do is take off the baffle. also who cares about jumping there fine machines and u dont notice the weight till u gotta pick it up. they sound very good for there engine displaement so i dont know what the hell ur talking about

ps. i picked mine up for 2000 dollars hardly used

Top Bottom