Nov 28, 2006
What are the pros and cons of each side of this argument? I'm brand new to dirt biking, going to buy/get one for Christmas, and I've narrowed it down to one of these two bikes through use of this forum, talking with people, and travelling to the dealers on the other side of town to check out the bikes.

I'm 6' 2," 190 pounds or so, not all that aggressive of a rider, and I will not be racing it. At all. Just looking for a bike to learn how to ride and then maybe ride some trails. Nothing fancy, and nothing too expensive. The MSRP on both of these is 3 1/2 thousand, and that's just about the max of what I want to spend.

I also rode a CRF230F for a day during the summer when my dad and I took a lesson out in the desert on a dry lakebed. I loved the bike, but that was also my first time on a dirt bike, so I can't really say whether I actually loved the BIKE or just the whole dirt biking thing in general.

So I've narrowed it down to these two. Both dealers are not too far from my house and both bikes are just about the right price. What are the main differences between these bikes?

(I dont want this to be a Honda vs. Yamaha battle. I'm talking about these two bikes in particular.)

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
IMHO, Honda's 230 has a little bit better suspension than the Yamaha. thats about the only difference, though. but, if i were you, i wouldnt go out and buy a brand new 230. at your physical standard, id look into getting either a used 125 2-stroke, a used XR250, or a used KDX200/220. all these bikes would suffice for you now. a 125 smoker is faster than the other two, with much better suspension, its also lighter. it can be ridden on trails or MX tracks effectively. however, if youre just going to be riding trails, an XR250 or a KDX200/220 would be a better choice for you. an XR250 is more outdated than the KDX, and both of these bikes are indestructible. the XR is a Honda, and the KDX is a Kawasaki. the XR is a 4-stroke, the KDX is a 2-stroke. look around on cycletrader.com and evilbay to find some really good deals on all three of these bikes.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Out of those two bikes, get the Honda. The Yamaha is getting better, but the Honda is still a better bike.

That said, I think you should look for a used Honda XR250R. It's a much better bike than the 230s and you should be able to find a used one in your price range.

Oskar

Nov 30, 2001
At your size you should be looking at a KDX 200/220. The bikes you are looking at will not satisfy you for long. You can get a new kdx for same or less, but I would look for a used one with mods for a lot less.

Top Bottom