Status
Not open for further replies.

Jm7687

Mar 26, 2003
Hey. I am 5'7" and 135lbs. I ride mostly trails and some really small mx tracks...no jumps over 4-5 feet high and no racing....just a home made track to have fun on. I was wondering if the Honda CRF230F is a good bike for me? I am 15 and money is tight. I do not want anything used and I want to stay in the $3500 range. I looked at the TTR225 but I sat on one and I didnt like it. If the CRF230F would be too big, what about the CRF150F? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I would recommend against the CR230F and the TTR225.

I have a DRZ250 for my wife that is much better than either of those and weighs about the same but with better ergos IMO. However, in your price range I would definately consider the KDX200. It is a great bike that is not too big and can grow with you as your talent improves.

Ivan

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
KDX!

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i'm assuming that you're not done growing, and at 5'7 you're right at the very tallest you could be and still fit a CRF230. so don't get one of those unless you WANT a bike that will not fit you at the end of the summer.

the ttr225 is a steaming pile of dogsh_t no matter how big you are. it would make a great anchor if you have a sail boat.

your choices are VERY limited if you want both new and $3500. i really can't think of a single bike that would work well for you and cost $3500 new. even the KDX will be in the $3900+ range.

why does it have to be new? you can get a killer used bike for $3500.

jeremiah

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
even 4-5 feet will kill those little cff shocks....Buy used, if you find the right bike, it will be the better decision. There is no shame in have a used bike, I not ashamed, and its not like they need more mateniance or anything(unless its beat)

Any prior riding experience? Maybe a wr250, xr250, dr250, kdx would not be bad either if you want a 2 smoker that has some power.

Jm7687

Mar 26, 2003
As I said in the original post....I dont want anything used. All of you who are thrashing the CRF230, have u ever ridden one??? I doubt it. I wanted some help from people that have this bike, not from people who go by what they read from others. I am done growing and I am not too big for the CRF230. I just wanted to know if its a good bike. I know its not the greatest and I know there are better bikes but I like this Honda. Don't recommend another bike, just tell me about the CRF

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Jm7687
As I said in the original post....I dont want anything used.

Then you are severely limiting your options.

All of you who are thrashing the CRF230, have u ever ridden one???

Not a CR230F but I have ridden the XR200, XR250, DRZ250, YZ250F, KDX200, KTM200, KTM300, CR250, CR450, YZ450, YZ125, YZ250, KX125, KX500, KX250, Gas Gas 200, Gas Gas 250, XR400, YZ426, SP125, DRZ400, DR350, TTR250, TTR225, XR100, XR80 and so many more.

I have been very fortunate to have a lot of friends who have allowed me to try different bikes here and there.

I doubt it.

No need for the attitude. The respondents here have ridden more bikes than you can imagine.

I wanted some help from people that have this bike, not from people who go by what they read from others.

The bike falls in the same category as the XR200, DR200 and TTR225. All of which I have ridden. They are good bikes, will last a long time, are heavy and easy for a young persons talent to exceed.

I am done growing and I am not too big for the CRF230.

At 15 you are done growing? Wow. Impressive. Most males don't stop until after 18.

If you get into the sport and improve even marginally your skill will quickly outgrow the performance of the CR230F IMO.

I just wanted to know if its a good bike. I know its not the greatest and I know there are better bikes but I like this Honda.

Then buy it and stop asking about things in the WHAT BIKE DO I GET forum.

Don't recommend another bike, just tell me about the CRF

If all you want is to go down the fire-road and to hit a few potholes the CR230 is a good bike that will last forever (Honda reliability is notorious in their air cooled 4-stroke line).

Ivan

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
As I said in the original post....I dont want anything used. All of you who are thrashing the CRF230, have u ever ridden one??? I doubt it. I wanted some help from people that have this bike, not from people who go by what they read from others. I am done growing and I am not too big for the CRF230. I just wanted to know if its a good bike. I know its not the greatest and I know there are better bikes but I like this Honda. Don't recommend another bike, just tell me about the CRF

I bought a CRF150 for my son about 6 monthes ago.He loves it. It will handle 10 foot jumps with stock suspension. We ride mostly desert with a lot of whoops and hill climbs, the bike performs very well. As you know, the CRF230 is a little taller, but very similar in design. We are currently stroking the engine to 178cc to gain more power. I talked to the folks at POWROLL and they say the head design on the CRF 150 and 230 engines flow really well, they were designed better than the similar sized XR's.
As mentioned earlier, the DRZ 250 is better ( I ride one ), but more expensive ( $3999 plus fees; locally here ). The DRZ benefits from a 4 valve head design and higher compression vs the CRF 230 has only 2 valves.

If you like red, go for it.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
To Truespode,

Your condolescent attitude towards his question is unwarranted. He had a legit question, and want info about the CRF, ( which you never rode ). You brag about your experience with all those other bikes, but that does not address his question. I owned an XR200, they are not even close to the same as the CRF230, so you should apologize for being wrong and being rude about it.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
:|
ya just can't help some people.
point for point, good replies Ivan.
where in the entire thread was anyone "thrashing the CRF230"
Jm, I've ridden the 230, let me just say it will be the best XR you will ever overpay for.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
no jumps over 4-5 feet high
Jim
I Would bottom the suspension on my Cr250 on a 10 ft. high jump, unless its a double or a table.

It will handle 10 foot jumps with stock suspension

I would not tell a moderator to apologize, plus truespode knows his stuff, look around at some of the knowlege he has spread around these forums. Altough not a crf230, I have ridden many other 4 stroke "small bore" machines, and I think it definatly qualifies us to give advice. I have also owned an xr200. Bike experience is bike experience. and I would not think the 150 would be similar to the 230 execpt in looks( i honestly do not know haven ridden either), ist that like comparing a cr125 to a 250?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
My attitude was given back from his, Brian.

All of you who are thrashing the CRF230, have u ever ridden one??? I doubt it. I wanted some help from people that have this bike, not from people who go by what they read from others.

I have no need to apologize. I offered help in my first post when he was "wondering if the CR230F was the right bike..." and he slammed us for not riding one. I think the CR230F is not too good of a choice for anyone his size who seriously wants to enjoy more than riding dirtroads. As I said, if he marginally improves in my opinion his talent will outgrow the bike.

His response to the advice he was given after saying "Any help would be greatly appreciated" was not warranted and I am not about to let the others who take time to try and help be dis-respected the way he did. They offered some advice and he basically told them to shut up b/c it was not what he wanted to hear.

I don't expect people to agree with all the advice given but I don't think being rude to people who try to help is warranted either.

And to think... I was going to close the post after his response b/c I thought he was rude. I guess I learned a lesson here Brian. Next time instead of trying to help I will close it down so as not to offend your sensibilities.

Thanks

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Joepro9
I would not tell a moderator to apologize,

Honestly, he has every right to that opinion. It doesn't bother me that he thinks that way. However, I am not going to let attitudes fly here so I'm shutting this one down.

There has been some good advice given and it is now up to the kid to make up his mind. I wish him the best of luck.

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom