Honda CRF450 2003 transmission sound

cregreb

Oct 18, 2007
just bought a 2003 CRF450. Bike sat most of its life, plastic was faded from sitting outside, rear spokes were frozen and loose..badly..I replaced those spokes, long story short..bike never had maintanance since new but was a low hour machine, still had original tires on it. cleaned her up, changed oil, general maintanance..she starts right up! But when shifting into first gear there is a loud crunch!! I have never had a 4 stroke bike before...all my past bikes have been KX500's CR's etc 2 stokes. Is this sound normal!! Other then the sound of putting it in gear, it rides like new.. I need the news..good or bad on the bike

Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly. Also, refer to your manual for the correct oil viscosity for the engine and gearbox. If the oil is too heavy, the clutch will not work properly and it will clunk when going into first gear.

Make sure you check your valve clearance. Has nothing to due with shifting but is a very important part of maintainance on your bike.

losdobles

Nov 22, 2006
My friends 2004 had a loud crunch due to a blown seal which separates the tranny oil from the engine oil resulting in all the tranny oil migrating to the engine side.

Top Bottom