bigtim6656

Apr 23, 2007
ok i think i have decieded on honda but am still unsure what size

i am 350 6'5 should i go with the crf450x or the xr650r

what are you thought on those to bikes and why is the XR650R 1000 dollors cheaper then the 450 when it is 200 ccs bigger also what about the XR650l it is street legel but is weights 49pounds more then the XR650R and the XR650R weighes about 40 pounds more then the 450

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
The CRF is state of the art late model high tech wizardry.
Great bike, but a bit more maintenence intensive than the XR.
The XR WAS state of the art........7 years ago.
Its not much faster than the CRF, but it will last longer with less maintenence. Kinda like comparing a Subaru WRX to a Hemi-Cuda.
If a bit more weight doesnt bother you, and you more or less ride for fun not competition, or want to build a really FUN dualsport, buy the XR.

Oh, and IF you can find a dealer who has a leftover '06 or '05 you can knock off another grand off of THAT price in most cases.
I got my '02 new in '04 and got it out the door for a little over 4 grand, with the "uncorking" kit thrown in for free! :ride:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
2 strokes for life said:
Your free kit would have cost you some were close to a grand otherwise.

I think your confusing the "power-up" kit with the uncorking kit.
To uncork you change the intake, exhaust insert, carb. jetting, and remove a couple inserts from the airbox.
It might add up to a couple hundred maybe?
The power-up kit includes a high comp piston, cam, etc, and is over a grand.

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
The XR is going to be more durable and more reliable. I also think that if you do a lot of riding in wide open areas where you can hold the throttle wide-open for miles and miles that the XR would be the better bike.
Look at that bikes that are in the Paris-Dakar rally, they are all 600cc or bigger.
Both are good bikes, but IMO the CRF450X is little more than a high-strung MX bike with lights and electric start.

Top Bottom