IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
anyone use this tuner for fork work? 01 cr250 that a couple of other tuners cannot get right. i refuse to be without my forks for another three weeks and be worse off than the starting point. never had this problem before in 25 30 years of having forks tuned. help. jm is in houston, tx and i can get one day service. thanks.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Irish
There are several tuners perusing this sight. The best way to solve your problem with tuning your forks may simply be to discuss it. Obviously your problem is not immediately apparent or the other tuners would have solved it. Or at least you would have hoped so. Once discussed and narrowed down you can then contact JM with more accurate information and hopefully you will come out on top. On behalf of the tuners you have already used however; Have you given them an opportunity to remedy the problem? A new tuner will charge you to look at your forks where the guy you last used may do it for free and has history with your dilemma. Suspension tuning is not an exact science. Personal preferences come into play, as do riding styles and abilities. People idolise factory mechanics and instantly presume they're the best at their job. The fact is they generally work with one rider and one bike and are armed with factory support including parts and information. They develop a working relationship with their riders and over time and several rebuilds they can arrive at a successfull working situation. Your average tuner works with hundreds of riders and several bikes with little assistance and is expected to get it right everytime. As a tuner if your not happy with work that I have done I want to be the first to know. Your problem and information could be valuable in assuring that the next customer doesn't suffer the same fate.
Regards
Terry Hay

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Terry
Well put also .
Unfortunatley it seems that the first impression sticks in the minds of the rider.
Most tuners will indeed work with their patrons to get their suspensions working for them at no additional cost. If not I would be alittle weary!

Russ

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
i appreciate the replies. i have been at this a long time.both of the tuners have had two or more shots at the forks. the first was an mx-tech guy who is no longer with mx-tech. he tried but the forks got worse with each try. the second is a fellow i have known for 25 years and does excellent work generally. but on my last two bikes (00 & 01 cr250) he just cannot seem to find that sweet spot. they are either almost rigid or extremely soft. but even when soft still are BRUTAL on roots and any hsc condition. braking bumps are like a jackhammer. to return them is a three week ordeal each time. i now have forks that are dangerous above 2nd gear and i am not a fast rider. when you have suspension you cannot ride comfortably you cannot enjoy the sport. confidence in my suspension means more than horsepower to me. i just thought it might be better to work with someone closer to me (100 mi.) if i could get some positive feedback. thanks again.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Yes, I have used JM Racing many times and they do excellent work. John Mitchell is an excellent rider, technician and tuner.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Irishcoffee, i too feel that the suspension is so much more important to enjoy offroad riding fullest. When you go for that unknown trail you must rely on yr suspension for what ever comes on yr way.
Especially when you become a better rider suspension needs grow.
You must feel confident on the trail to keep up with the pace the faster riders set.
I can not understand that they did not find the sweet spot on yr forks. I mean how many people are riding with yr fork type. Lots of people.
So, open them up yrself and tell us the inners. I feel we(as in Jeremy marcus Terry etc) can work it out.

weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
IRISHCOFFEE,
I know your pain. I also have an '01 cr 250, and those forks are nasty. I had a place in N.H.( guess who), revalve them 3 times and for whatever reason, the forks were horrible. I got so upset, I went to a suspension seminar, and learned how too fix them myself. I can tell you that by replacing the compression piston valve, you will actually be able to feel the forks go through their stroke for the first time, and be able to ride somewhat satisfied......

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
i really appreciate your replies guys. i have decided to give my long term friend one more go and then if they are not right (for me) then i am going to do my own surgery. WEATIE181, do the initials rt mean anything to the valve you speak of? thanks again.

weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
yes, that is what I used. I am 170lbs. and they also recomended that I change springs. The stock are .44's, and I dropped down to .42's. I am an intermediate rider, over 30, and ride in new england, which is mostly sand. I only have one ride on the new stuff, but I noticed the difference down the first whooped out section with braking bumps, and now I'm happy:) Too bad we just got 30" of snow over the weekend :( good luck, and let us know how you make out......

Top Bottom