Honda OEM Bearings vs. Aftermarket?

rikhek

Nov 3, 2004
Does anybody have any "real life" (i.e., practical) experience on whether OEM Honda wheel bearings are of higher quality than aftermarket. I'm hoping for some input based on actual experience as opposed to "gut feel."

Reason being it looks like I'm going to be JB Welding the bearings into a worn hub on a CR80. As such, this is a one shot deal and I want to put in whatever is going to last the longest.

As there's a BIG price difference I don't want to spend the money on OEM unless it's worth the difference.

Rick

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
There's no need to go OEM for wheel bearings. You can go to your local bearing supply store and purchase top quality bearings over the counter. Or go to www.bossbearing.com
They have excellent prices ( half of OEM ) and excellent quality.
I don't know if JB Weld will work for this. You can have the hub bored out and a shin "shrunk" into place. Most road bike stores do this or will have a local contact. I know that this fix is pretty permanent and almost as good as original.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have run both on different bikes. No difference. I did the same basic thing to an old rim and it worked very well for over 2 years. As far as I know, it's still going strong. I had sold the bike. After installing, take seal pick and remove the seal on the bearing and force grease into the bearing. That will make more of a difference than anything else.

fow350

Sep 7, 2004
Ummmm, am I the only one that read the part where he is going to JB WELD bearings into a worn hub? That is definately not a solution to your problem, you need a new hub.

rikhek

Nov 3, 2004
Loctite Trial

Went with the loctite as a "first shot." Mounted the wheel on the bike and it feels rock solid, however, wasn't able to have the boy ride it today. Torquing on it with my hands and it hasn't budged. I realize the force I'm applying isn't significant but it's a ray of hope. I'll let you know if it holds up to a couple motos. At this point I'm optimistic. Would be nice to not have to JB Weld them. With loctite I think I'd be able to knock the bearings out for replacement purposes down the road.

Rick

Top Bottom