meb5276

Sep 21, 2007
I have an 06 crf250r and the dealer told me its not worth it to use high quality honda oil since you change the oil so frequently. He told me castrol gtx or similar is fine. Is it true? or should I spend the extra money on the higher priced oils? and what kind would you recomend for the case and tranny? thanks

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have heard of a lot of people using Castrol GTX with great results in their thumpers.

I personally use Mobil 1 15w50 in my YZ250F and swear by it. They went through a reformulation a few years ago but I still stuck with Mobil 1 15w50 and have been very happy with the condition of my parts when I did a top end on my last bike.

There are other good oils you can use too. Many of the members here have their particular favorites. If you do a search on oil or look in the technical archives you can find some really good articles.

Here is a good article on oil for thumpers...

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=16550

Here is another one that is my favorite but it is for 2 smokers...

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=5288

Ivan

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Castrol, Shell Rotella, Mobil 1..........all good oils. I've used Castrol GTX in ALL my sportbikes/streetbikes since I've been riding and also in the transmissions of my 2-smokes. Never had any issue. I'm pretty sure for all the oil threads and hoopla about multi-mega-bux oils, that knowone ever traced a failure to oil. Do a google search and you'll probably come across a CBR1000 (I think) that was run for over 100,000 on castrol GTX dino. I believe all parts were still within spec. It must be an honest dealer telling you not to buy the Honda oil. The CRF's have seperate oil for tranny clutch vs engine if memory serve me correct so you could use even the energy conserving oils with more moly. For your trans/clutch. you could use ATF type "F" with good results. It's cheap and made for wet clutch trans with good shear out stability. The key is regular changes no matter what you run. A lot of people run the Rotella in both eng and trans. Available at Wally world in gallon jugs..........name your poison........ I personally never bought into moto-specific oils. Never had an engine or trans failure since my first bike back in 1970.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
truespode said:
I personally use Mobil 1 15w50 in my YZ250F and swear by it. They went through a reformulation a few years ago but I still stuck with Mobil 1 15w50 and have been very happy with the condition of my parts when I did a top end on my last bike.

A good option.......I use it in all our bikes including the two stroke transmissions. I have been using it for 7 or 8 years now. I can find it at Walmart whenever I need it and it has never failed me. I am too lazy to go looking for anything that might be better.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
truespode said:
Here is a good article on oil for thumpers...

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=16550
Ivan, that particular thread is full of more bologna and BS than most threads ever archived here.
Someone that is presumed credible, spouting off fantastically ignorant falsehoods and myths.

Rich kept things real, but the thread as a whole should be totally disregarded. IMO, of course.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Jaybird said:
Ivan, that particular thread is full of more bologna and BS than most threads ever archived here.

Maybe it should be moved to the political forum ;)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Sandman 2.0 said:
I'm pretty sure for all the oil threads and hoopla about multi-mega-bux oils, that knowone ever traced a failure to oil.
only exceptions are usually preceded with "Well I didn't know oil wouldn't last forever so I never changed it" :whoa:

We use the Rotella full Synthetic and again have had great results during each teardown.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I read an article that said Penzoil and Castrol dont manufacture their own base stocks. They buy base stock from other oil companys and blend it themselves. I dont know if this helps you but since you mentioned Castrol I thought I would relay the info. I use NAPA brand oil. It is straight from the Valvoline tap with just a different lable and 1.00 a quart cheaper. The parts counter guy at my local Honda dealer said that Honda four stroke oil is Citgo oil, I dont know how true that is but I dont buy it becasue it is too expensive.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Pennzoil, which is now owned by SOPUS (Shell Oil) does indeed produce their own base stocks. Their grp III is some of the best made.
Castrol (BP) also produces their own base stocks.
NAPA, is produced by Ashland Oil, producers of Valvoline products.

I think if investigated, all major oil suppliers have used components from their competitors. It's often a "barter this for that" type thing with producers.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a producer to buy a base from one of his competitors and the additive package from another. Who produces the ingredients has very little, if anything, to do with the composition and quality of the final product.

What is more of a concern, is trying to wade your way through the marketing mumbo-jumbo and dealerspeak myths, than worrying about who mfgs base stocks.

Some would hang their hat on Amsoil products till the cows come home, and Amsoil produces ziltcho. All they do is fill bottles with products produced by others.
Same for MOST EVERY so called "Motorcycle Oil" supplier....they don't make squat. All they do is buy a package (most likely an outdated and obsolete API service catagory) from a real oil company and sell it to you for 4 times it's worth.
They often will give dubious information to moto rags, in an attempt to make folks think things that simply aren't true, and boost their market share.
Take the mag you got your info from for example....

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
You are right as rain my friend. I gave up a few months ago and come to a conclusion that Im going to start buying what ever name brand motor oil is on sale. As for two stoke oil you cant beat the price of mobile 1 these days. I ride for recreation and will NEVER be able to push these bikes to the verge of the breaking point. As for my truck I buy what ever is on sale, this month its Pennzoil at Target for 1.79 a qt. I have also realised its not as mush the oil that you use but the frequency you change it. Again, Im not an arospace engineer but my routine has not failed me yet.

Top Bottom