Honda owner thinking about switching

motox269

May 1, 2004
I am currently racing a 2003 CRF450..I am going to buy a 2005 bike next year..I have flat had it with the maintenance problems with this Honda. I love riding the bike..It starts easy when everything is fresh, but I could fill up this page with everything I have gone thru to keep this bike on top of its game..I am no rookie..I am 39 and have been racing and maintining bikes since I was 5. (with a little help from my dad of course)..All of my race buddies ride Hondas so I am having a hard time getting an honest opinion...What do you guys think of your YZF 450s. Do they start, Do the valves stay in Spec(for at least more than 5 hours), How about other maintenance problems?? Be honest now..I can learn to ride any bike...I just don't have time to do complete top end jobs and rebuild water pumps every month. Thanks..I appreciate any input you guys may have.
B :ride:

B

biglou

I haven't had my 450 very long, but I had my 426 for 2 years and probably rode it an average of once a week for that entire time. I'm not the fastest cat out there, far from it, but I never had a single problem with the Yammy that wasn't easily explained or self-induced. Had a loose plug once, failed to richen the pilot jet for a cold weather ride, etc. I changed the oil religously, as I do on my 450, and I never had to reshim the valves. To me, that speaks volumes of using a quality oil and changing it every 1-2 tanks of fuel.

The only thing I noticed about the 450 is that it likes quick, stabbing kicks to start as opposed to the 426 which liked the full follow-through kicks to light it off. I'll admit, until I figured this out, I was getting a little frustrated trying to light off the 450 a couple of times. All better now!

Top Bottom