dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
I have acquired a 1971 Honda Sl 175. It is going to be my project over the next few months :) . Pretty much everything on this bike is rusted or ruined in some way lol.

My first step is going to be the gas tank. It is rusted extremely bad. I need some ideas for cleaning it. I've tried powerwashing which helped quite a bit and next i was going to try to put some bolts in it or something and shake it up.

Any ideas on getting the rust out?

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
the mice got to the air filters in it, and ill be needing a replacement. Ive looked through the internet and im not seeing any air filters. Does anyone know of another old honda that uses the same air filters?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
dirtbike2244 said:
Any ideas on getting the rust out?

Put about a pound of pea gravel and about four ounces of WD-40 in it. Shake and shake and shake. Then shake some more. Empty, flush with some kerosene and inspect. If you still see rust, repeat the process.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Kroil ! Kroil and the nuts/bolts (the gravel sounds good too) the Kroil was heartily suggested by folks on another vintage forum. Have not tried it yet personally.

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
thanks. the bike seems to be in better shape than what i first thought. The tank is horrible but the carburetors were perfect. I havent looked at the cylinders yet but i assume that they are good as the carburetors were good.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
The best way I found to clean a rusty steel tank is with muriatic acid, its cheap and works great you can get it at the pool supply store or the hardware store. Be careful its pretty nasty stuff and puts off fumes, it also eats aluminum and is good for cleaning cement.

fatboy570

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2000
Finding an air filter for this bike may be difficult. Try Red-racer.com or you might find a clamp on filter such as Uni or No Toil. I use a Uni on my MX and a No Toil on my YZ and they work great

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
found a new air filter on **** (i couldnt believe it at first). I also got a new battery which i needed. The tank is looking a lot better now thanks to the help. Im still waiting for the parts but as soon as i get them im going to see if i can get a spark and maybe get it running

Top Bottom