VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
It is a dual sport.

Not nearly as dirt worthy as the XR250Rs from '96 to now.

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
ok, thanx

I couldn't tell if it was dual or not. I can't really afford a 96 or anything. I am talking to a guy about an 85 XR600 for 500. Needs sprokets, but thats it. Does anyone have any info on this bike?
Thanx,
Chris

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
the '80 XL250 will have twin shocks and drum brakes front and rear. No electric start. Started out life as dual sport; hopefully it still has all the street legal gear. Pretty heavy, pretty weak power. Some of the very early '80's Honda's had the 23" front wheel, not sure if that bike is one of those. If so, the 23" was not well liked. Even by 1980 standards, the XL's were lacking in dirt performance. For just putting along through the woods and on fire roads, you could do worse, but if you have any desire to go fast I'd look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
How many carbs does the XR600 have? IMO any more than one is bad on a Honda!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The XL250S is very dirt worthy. I don't know what you guys are talking about that it can only be on fire roads. My dad has a 78 XL250S, with a 23" front wheel, and can go anywhere on that bike. Sure, it is a little heavy, but it still goes anywhere without much effort. You guys need to learn how to ride if you don't think an XL250 can't go on much more than fire roads. This bike can make it on any trails, and blaze a few on its own. If you can handle some weight, the bike is great. For a trail cruiser and for running to the local store, it is perfect.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Actually, for the price, two carbs might be OK if they really work well. I still remember my experiences with twin carb Hondas and shudder. Hard to crank, hard to service, complex. Single carbs just seem to work better, and the later (and earlier) models had single carbs.
If the bike you are looking at had a single carb, then just so much the better!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
First off, right on Speedy!!;)
XL's can be just as off road capable as XR's.
(just takes a little work)

The 23" front wheel was used from 1978 until 1981, and yea, it wasn't very well liked.:(
(hey at least it has a 18" rear!!)
There are still tires available for it (23") but dont expect much selection.
(forget MT-21's):eek:

Don't worry about the twin carb deal as they werent used on the 250 until 1984.
The XL250 was/is a good competent trail machine that some may consider a bit low on power.
(well to me anything under 400cc is a bit down on power though):confused:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by VintageDirt
Not nearly as dirt worthy as the XR250Rs from '96 to now.

I didn't say it wasn't worthy. Just not as worthy.:)

WillyTheWimp

May 23, 2018
I was looking on ebay and saw a 1980 Honda XL250. I like the way this bike looks, and it seems to fit my purpose for just playing in the woods and mud. I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about this bike. Stuff like is it a dual sport, electric or kick start, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Chris

Top Bottom