rschwing

May 15, 2002
What is everyone's opinion concerning the XR400 and XR650. I
would be using the bike for a combination of Mountain Trail riding,
maybe a Hare Scramble or equivalent and some pavement riding in order to transition from one trail system to another? Probably, alot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear riding. I am very concerned to hear everyone talking about the overheating problem in the XR650.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
The 400 is better for tight woods, no question. Its lighter, and more flickable for 1st gear and slower going 2nd gear kinda trails. I think the 650 is better once the terrain opens up though. More stable and tons more power on tap. If you're gonna spend most of your time on singletrack, the 650 is not even close to the best option.

rschwing

May 15, 2002
I am looking for a bike that will be best suited for adventure riding. I want to be able to ride this bike out of my garage (in Castle Rock, Co.) up into the mountains on 2 to 4 day excusions using mostly dirt trails (Single Track, ATV, 4x4, Improved and Unimproved dirt roads and pavement only when necessary) to get to all areas of Colorado and maybe even Utah. Can the XR400 hold up the distances involved with this type of riding, no to mention the 40 to 70mph speeds on the highway? Is the XR650 too much bike for this type of riding?

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
For that kind of riding, I'd stick with the 650. Yeah, its kind of a brute on singletrack, but not too bad as long as you're not in a big hurry. For all the other kind of stuff you'd be doing, the bike would be excellent.

Top Bottom