Honda XR50 and rim locks (or lack thereof)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My nephew rides a Honda XR50 which does NOT have rim locks.

As a result, he often spins the rear tire on the rim, tearing out the valve stem, which ruins the tube and pretty much the rest of the day of riding.

We have tried inflating the tires to the maximum pressure. Telling him to lay off the "burn outs" hasn't worked.

Is it possible to install rim locks on these tiny wheels? I see that Motion Pro sells generic rim locks, but I am not sure what size it would need. The tire is 2.5 x 10, but I don't know what the rim size is.

If I found a suitable sized rim lock is it feasible to drill the hole in the rim and add it?

Having changed the tire on this rim a few times I know it is a real pain. There isn't a much stretch in those small tires and it might be impossible with a rim lock interfering. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Rod

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you might do better to put a few (short!) screws through the rim into the tire. Just a matter of not hitting the tube, of course.

I wonder if someone makes a mousse for that bike? Then you could do the screw trick without fear of causing your own flats. Or you could try filling it with foam, but that's a PITA to remove.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow most OFG's I know that ride hot rod pit bikes don't have THAT much of an issue tearing tubes! Maybe you should try letting him pay for and replace the tube himself to see if that drives the point home.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Depends on which one you by Joe. I've gotten them both with and without a threaded stem.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, we have been using the threaded valve stem. I doubt that it would make a difference, the non threaded stems wouldn't survive being pulled into the rim and even if they did you could never ad air again.

I contacted Motion Pro and they said that their rim locks wouldn't work well with that small of a diameter wheel.

I guess I will try the screws into the bead idea.

Rod

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It spins that far that it will suck the stem right in? I was kinda picturing the stem bolted to the rim so as soon as it slipped a little the tube would tear where the stem is bonded. I had them on my RM and never tightened them down.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I am wondering if there is some other problem because I aired down the rear tire on one of my 125cc pit bikes to 10psi and tried to spin the tire on the rim and almost got it to move a tiny bit. Concrete, dirt, grass and I either ended up with wheel spin of a wheelie. Does the tire have some type of lubricant on the bead that was used for mounting it that allows it to slip? Something just doesn't add up.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Soapy water was used to mount the tire, but it had been months ago.

I have had the stem suck all the way in. What I suspect happened is that the tire spun a little, which tore the tube at the stem and then when it deflated the stem could fall inside.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe try cleaning the inside of the rim and the tire bead really really well. I'd suggest using brake cleaner as the final step and try to remount the tire dry. I guess there is a possibility that there is dirt which is acting like a dry lubricant allowing the tire to spin on the rim because I'm amazed that a 50 could do this with any kind of regularity.

Worst case get a new tire and mount it up then get it foam filled at an inductiral tire shop. It will be heavier but it sure won't ever go flat again. I did this to the tires on my shredder because I would end up rolling them from the rims in rough terrain if I changed from a forward to reverse gear without slowly changing the direction.

Top Bottom