RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I have been interested in making the 4 stroke change. What lit my firecracker was the crf450x. Im an off road guru and would like something that is faithful as can be.

What are some of the problems that people are encountering on the crf 450? I would think that they are really good machines but what is the reallife scenarios. Are they hard maintainence, would they be a good machine for someone that is going to keep the bike for years?
I plan on keeping the gas gas but I would like something more like a husaberg than a Ktm and I hope that a crf is on those lines with added reliability

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It pushes the performance envelope much more so I don't think it would ever be as dependable or maintenance free as an XR4 or 6.

I think it's a good bike to keep for years, but plan on checking the valves regularly, changing the oil every 3-5 hours, and doing a few top-ends.

If you're looking for a bike to keep for several years without going in to the motor, then I'd look at an XR.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
No way man!!! Im looking to push the performance envelope too!!. The xr's were outdated in 95' dont you remember 10 years ago they werent the most consistent starters even then. I dont want to bash the old schoolers (they are still air cooled thou) but I liked the performance of a husaberg and would like something like one of those with the reliability of a Honda.
I rode a wr450 and was not impressed with the way it handled at all maybe for the desert but no way in trees!
Do I need to wake up and realize that reliability has been thrown out the window and hop up a Ktm 450(to feel like a 470). thats only if the Hondas reliability has gone to the top end a year thing adn a few more headaches added. I really dont want too bleed orange.
I am just wondering if I should hold out long enough to get the 450x or if its not gonna be worth the wait. Adjusting the valves would be okay by me I just dont want to really be busting the bike apart.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I haven't had mine in the woods much, but it doesn't feel "at home" there.

Not as bad as driving your top fuel dragster in downtown rush hour traffic, but it still feels like it's not the intended application.

Again...I think there is a sliding scale of trading performance for reliability and you have to determine if/where you want to be on that scale. I don't know much about the Hoochiebergs, but the YZF and CRF are definitely at the performance end of the scale.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Mine was great and totally reliable, just maintenance intensive (very frequent oil/filter changes + spoke tightening. It felt very comfortable in both the woods and MX track...I can't imagine a more versatile bike. Still, I really prefer my CRF250R, enough so that I sold the 450 after watching it gather dust in my garage while the 250 was out playing all the time.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
they have got to be better than the husabergs for they are athe dragsters that you cant drive around town. everytime it goes down the strip youve got to tear it apart and adjust the valves and charge up the battery. when ktm bought them they detuned the engine significantly to come up with their rfs. if they didnt the woods would be orange year round were no one would go and get their pos.
I am just expecting much better results from Honda. I think that I am in the right ballpark by saying that a honda would have the longest life expectancy. That would be two thumbs up considering their performance.
what Im scared of are the war stories. Ill bet they get expensive too.

I want to buy a new bike later this year that will be excellent for me to keep for the next 20 years and only do maintanance. Livin a dream? maybe. if the hondas a piece, Ill probably keep on smokin.

Top Bottom