what would you do?

• drive by his house slowly for hours on end

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • wait until 2am and sneak into his shed to see what's there

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • walk up and say, "Gee my bike was stolen, any idea who it mighta been?"

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • leave the bastage be. You have no hard eveidence, and you'll just end up getting yourself into troub

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • run up to him and pop him in the shnozz. Call him a scumbag, and walk home

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • let insurance buy me at least part of a new bike; chalk it up to a lesson learned, and move on

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
as most of you know, I had my bike stolen last week. I have my suspicions as to who the perp is. But that's all I have suspicions. there is no evidence at all. He's just a local scumbag, drug adict who has been known to steal stuff from time to time.

what would you do?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've done the drive-by thing, it don't work well. Throw on all that camo you got for turkey hunting and go scope his place out. If you see it, call the cops and let 'em know you "saw it outside".

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
From what you told me earlier, it sounds like you may get problems from this crack head. I know how tempting it is to go after him though. :flame:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I couldn't just let it be so I voted for the driving by for hours on end. If it was me I'd probably keep the guy under some sort of surveillance for awhile and put out some feelers with anyone who I felt could get me info. No friends or contacts within the local Sheriffs office? Just be smart PK and don't do anything to get yourself in a jam unless your willing to follow the advice someone posted in the other thread of "Shoot first, bury em deep and deny deny deny." :laugh:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Dang, you can only vote once! I chose drive by his house slowly for hours on end but am torn between that and wait until 2am and sneak into his shed to see what's there, but run up to him and pop him in the shnozz. Call him a scumbag, and walk home also sounded good.

I think in the great words of Billywho, "co-op" manuevers are in order! :debil: I mean it's RI for peets sake how many suspects could there be? Four, five? ;) Chances are your suspicions are correct.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I wish I could vote more than once too...

This is what I would do though...

Find someone who is your friend and looks scumbag-ish. Have them somehow get the word out that they wanna buy a bike (or some part from your bike). Hopefully the scum will produce to make a $.

Or call the police if you have suspect he's guilty. Tell em his neighbor said they saw the bike or something.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I would definitely want to get a peek in his shed, now to do this legally could be a problem.

Give the guy a call from a nearby callbox, say the cops are on the way to find the stolen bike, then stake him out and see what happens.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I'd be really careful. He's probably got friends that are even scarier than he is. I'd let the police handle it and let them look in his shed.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I voted to checkout the shed. Only i would sneak by and look around the ground for evidence of a bike. You know knobbys leave imprints. Try to see what is around but as you know, he will have to eventually move it from there and will be doing it at night. The longer you wait to see if its actually there, the more time he has to get it out of there where you wont be able to find it.

or, you could make an annyomous call about a drug dealer living there and let the cops stake him out. That should make him nervous.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Just remember the old saying "what goes around comes around". What I would do it put an add in the local pennysaver along with a picture of your bike to let people in the area it's stolen. I've seen that work to get a bum or two. Or not and get the insurance money and get a new ride.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Take a look in the shed. If he took it it's probably long gone. If it's there then call 100 of your closest friends and retrieve it. Then stone the bastage, burn the house and bulldoze it.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Go ring his doorbell and ask him if he has seen anything suspicious or heard of anybody trying to unload a bike. See how he reacts. If he gets sketchy, ask him to see his shed. Go over in a tank top with beefy ravioli smeared on the front, shorts and raise an eyebrow when you talk to him so he thinks you're a bit OTL (out to lunch)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Chili
advice someone posted in the other thread of "Shoot first, bury em deep and deny deny deny." :laugh:

OMG, I've been quoted!

PK, bottom line, if you can't see it in the open, DON"T take yourself down to his level.  Now, if you see it, feel free to take him to a lower level, MUCH lower.;)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A friend told you they saw it in his shed. Ask the police to check it out.

Whatever you do, don't go there at 2:00 am...that's probably when he's wired and ready. Now, 5:30 am....

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Take advantage of your size. Go right to the front door. Get him involved in a conversation that's just 'suggestive' enough so as to make him fear for his life, then start talking about your bike and how you "know where it is" and if "said abductee of said bike would turn it over" you would not turn him in. I'd start there. It's effective and legal.

The other options could get you a trespassing hit, or something worse, if he's got weapons.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would say stakeout and take friends and a cell phone and a camera or better a video camera.

although i try to be a better person these days, i used to have friends that would sort these situations out, but then you are always looking over your shoulder.

dont forget, thieves cant help themseleves, they WILL be back for everything they left the first time.

good luck keith, i know exactly how you are feeling right now and it sucks.
i know Carlo has other things on his mind, but maybe drop him a line???

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'd go question the guy too. If you do decide to this I'd hurry though. I wouldn't think (if he really does have it) that he'll hold it for very long. You could get alot of crack for that bike. I like Thump's idea for the beefy Ravioli tank top too. :thumb:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
While taking matters into your own hands is the first thing that comes to mind, I opted for take the ins money and update. Perfect opputunity to trade up a few years, or get that AF youve thought about at least once. I do like the idea of checking for tracks around his place or peeking in the shed though :think:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I said to sneak into his shed at 2 a.m. but Gomer's got a good point...that's probably his peak time. Remember that's approximately the time it was stolen.

I guess your best bet if you want to keep yourself outta the slammer...take the insurance money and get yourself that new bike you wanted! Then I'll get insurance and we'll sic someone to take my bike, then I can get a WR.

Oh...time for me to stop out of Fantasyland for a minute...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I voted for walking up and ringing the doorbell.. Years ago we had a bike stolen outta the garage, found out who did it by word of mouth.. My freind walked up too the door, told the guy that the person who owns the bike was pretty PO"d and was getting ready too come by for a visit.. The garage door was opened up about a minute later and there was the bike..
Monday a freind of mine, her daughters Z-50 got stolen out in Stockton Ca.. SHe was bummed cause i had just taught her too ride...

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I'd take the insurance money and look for a new bike. In parallel with that process, I would have a short, one sided, discussion with the fella you figure was involved. Simply state that the only reason that there haven't been ramifications is that the insurance covered the old bike. If there is a repeat performance, neither insurance nor law inforcement will be involved.

I put a motion sensor, and a 500W halogen light inside my garage (aimed at the door)..... If he don't know it's coming, you should be able to hear the guy's pupils slam shut when the light comes on.

It's a cheep, easy fix, that works well.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
PK You now have a partner in crime as boy says he'll accompany you for option # 2 :flame:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Well Squeaky, as you know, I decided to take option 6.
And I went and bought myself a new 04 CRF450. Took it home Saturday. I told mother it was all part of the healing process ;)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Congrats on the new thumper, PK!! :thumb: Lock up that 450 good!

See... sometimes bad things happen for good reasons.... or something like that. :confused:

Top Bottom