LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well I had my first taste of an enduro today. I didn’t know what an enduro tasted like, now I know, SAND. I rode round 3 of the TRH family enduro held in Sam Houston national forest. I had never ridden there before today. I really didn’t know what to expect.

My dad and I got up early and loaded the bike; it took about an hour to get to the trailhead. We unloaded my bike and talked to a few people. Everyone was nice and very helpful. I had NO idea what to do but all I had to do was ask. I headed over to sound check and passed at 93db. I started on minute 7. The first loop was great fun, tons and tons of sand. I let almost everyone go by me; I really didn’t want to hold anyone up. The trails were very dusty and I was glad that I ordered amber lenses for my goggles. By the end of the first loop I had drank about half of my 100oz camelbak. I must have been thirsty!

We ate a great lunch and I hung around the truck with my dad talking about the ride. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to ride the 2nd loop or not. Key time was coming up and I made my decision, I would ride the 2nd loop! I got my gear on and headed to the start. I started a little late but made up a little time on the solid ground. I rode along for a ways seeing no one behind me. When someone finally did come up behind me I promptly moved over. No sooner did I move over then the rider ran into a tree. I helped him get his bike up and by that time about 6 other riders had passed us.

Jumping forward to mile 10.
I was just staring to feel the oncoming tingles of arm pump when I decided to pull over and take a break. By this time I had let a great many people by and I didn’t see anyone until mile 16. I rode through the sandy whoops and turns. My XR250R did well I think. I almost have it enduro ready. It has a Cobra exhaust; Answer bark busters, Renthal bars, UNI air filter and WB brake snakes. I now realize that I need a SRC fork brace a lot! I think I had my shock set too stiff also, having never ridden in such deep sand I didn’t know what worked best.

Jumping forward to mile 16.
Wow! The arm pump was getting bad. I didn’t want to slow down though. So I kept pushing it through the woods. I want to know how these other riders go into and come out of the turns SOO fast! I tried a turn like that and nearly ran off the trail. I had a hard time keeping the front end tracking straight. Through roots, whoops and sand I went.

The Finish.
At about mile 18 the sweep rider caught up with me. He was very nice and told me some good ways to get through the sand. I thought I was very late, after all SWEEP rider had caught me! I pressed on until the finish, I was the LAST rider to come in. I turned in my scorecard and went back to the truck. I was only 46 minutes late! I am very happy I didn’t hour out. I think I ok for my first enduro.

So was anyone from DRN there?
The range of bikes there was amazing! I saw everything, but the KTM’s were the most popular. I would love to have a KTM. My dad, who rides an XR400R is interested in a 520E/XC now. I would like a 300E/XC or 300M/XC. By far the coolest bike I saw was the Gas Gas. I don’t know who the rider was but he was good.

I learned a lot at the enduro. You always let the faster rider by. Sand is EVIL, pure EVIL. Arm pump is also EVIL! Well maybe not evil, but it’s still bad. I also learned that I need to build up my endurance before Caney Creek rolls around. Investing in a roll chart would be a good idea. When riding in dust slow down.

I am looking forward to round 4 of the TRH family enduro series. My dad is going to get some MX gear and ride it with me. I think it’s being held at Skull Creek. If anyone wants to meet up there feel free to email me.

Well this is the end. I have nothing more to say.

Lee Wilson

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Hey Lee, I rode the same enduro about 13 years ago when I was just getting started. Lots of fun. You should ride the Caney Creek enduro (check out TSCEC), which is the real thing.

A KDX 200, or KTM 250exc would be a much better choice for your next bike. Worlds better than your XR. What size are you and what age?

The KTM300 would be a great bike for your dad.....

Have FUN!

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I thought about a KDX200 or a KDX220 but there just so old. I like the light weight and good handling of the KTM’s. The reason I want the 300 is because of the massive amounts of power. The main question I have is if I get a 300 will I have to compete in the Open class? If so I may just get the 250. My dad wants to get a 520, he rides a 1998 XR400R right now.

I plan on riding Caney Creek this September. If there are going to be any other DRN members there I would love to meet you guys. I also plan on riding the 4th and final round of the TRH family enduro series.

Ok here is a little about myself.

I am 16 ride a 1995 XR250R with the following mods.
Cobra ISDE Pro exhaust pipe.
UNI Air Filter.
Renthal YZ426F bend handlebars.
White Brothers Brake Snakes on both brake and shift levers.
Scott Hurricane MX grips.
Answer Bark Busters.

I am 6’0ft tall and weigh 190Lbs. I am lucky enough to have about 10 miles of tight horse trails across the street to ride on. I have been riding for a little over a year and I consider myself to be a fairly good rider. I have a really hard time with logs and creeks. I hate riding in sand too.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Lee Wilson

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Lee.

I'm chairing the Caney Creek Enduro this year. Come on out and help mark trails or whatever. This will be good practice for the race. Also, you will get your work days in for TRH.
E-mail me and I'll let you know the work schedule.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I thought about a KDX200 or a KDX220 but there just so old. I like the light weight and good handling of the KTM’s. The reason I want the 300 is because of the massive amounts of power.

As a beginner you won't need massive amounts of power. Especially in Sam Houston where there are no "real" obstacles anymore. The KDX isn't as dated as the XR your currently riding. It will have more than enough power in stock configuration to haul you around as fast as you need to go. As your ability improves, you can add aftermarket "hop-up" components and it will still cost less than a KTM.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
Lee,I rode the Family Enduro Round #3,and as long as you finished,that is not too bad for your first enduro. Each enduro try to do a little bit better and have fun. It is a family sport. Gas Gas is right the New Caney one would be a good one to work(it would help you to see other riders attacking the terrain),and be sure to enter round # 4 . I think it is at Skull Creek,which is a little more open. I ride an XR and you do hjave to set them up properly. Dunlop 756's help a bunch in the sand as does a SRC fork brace.Email me if you and your dad want to go riding ,I will be at Skull Creek this Saturday & Sunday:cool: VMANUTA @aol.com

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well a KDX220 would cost a lot less then a KTM250E/XC. I think I have decided against the 300. It’s now a battle between the KDX220 and the KTM250E/XC. I plan on buying my next bike new and it will be the last bike I buy for about 3-5 years. I want something that will be race ready. It has to be light, powerful, slim, and it has to be able to handle a little MX. I am a little worried that the KDX won’t do it for me. But then again I don’t know much about the KDX. How much money would it take to get the KDX turned into a good race bike? Is the seat/tank comfortable? Is it better then the KTM?
I ride very aggressively; I’d rather speed up then slow down. Looking back I wish I had ridden harder at the TRH enduro. I could have gone faster then I did. Oh well...

I will be at Round 3 of the TRH family enduro! I can’t wait for it. I would love to work Caney Creek but my dad just took a new job so he will be very busy and I don’t know how I would get to Sam Houston.

I am planning on getting the SRC fork brace before the next race comes up. I also want the get the SRC fork covers to save my seals.

Lee Wilson

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well count me enlightened. The KDX220 is sounding more and more like the bike I need. Get a new exhaust on there and it would rip! I also have to consider parts dealers. There are lots of Kawasaki dealers here in town but only 2 KTM dealers that I know of. I can’t believe I’m saying I’m getting a KDX. Well at least I will be able to get my KDX sooner then a KTM.

Lee Wilson

P.S. Would a 200 be better then the 220?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
The 200 class is the most desirable class to enduro race in as an up and coming C rider. I successfully raced a couple years of C class on an old air cooled KDX while living in TX. I also "zero'd" one of the family enduros towards the end of my C rider days on the same KDX. I finished first 200C at the Caney Creek back I think in 1988, I'll look at my trophy tonight....

Even though I race as an A rider, now. My early victories in the C class on a KDX will remain some of my best memories!

A 220 would bump you into the 250 class.... so buy a KDX200.

The skills one learns riding a 200 will transfer well to any bike. The KDX is almost ready to race right out of the box, but you might need slightly stiffer springs, and do the jetting/airbox mods.... After a half to a year of enduro racing, you can add a better expansion chamber and silencer.....

Oh ya, I weighed about what you do now.....

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Lee,

Don't let the sand beat you. I was the same when I first started, I hated it more than anything. But now after lots of practice in the DEEP New Jersey sand, I love this stuff! After you get a few more runs under your belt, try and find your way to a mountain (ROCKS) run. You will definately appreciate the sand after the pounding of the rocks. ;)

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Good point about the 220 in the 250 class. My fear is that I will out ride the 200 after a few years. I will only be buying one new bike for a long time. I plan on getting my KDX new. What about a KLX300? Would that be a better choice then the KDX? Do you mix the gas for the KDX like you do a normal MX’er? Are the KDX’s reliable? Would I be better off saving for the 250E/XC? I guess I just need a lot more information.

I am going to practice riding in sand a lot. I live near a creek and the banks are all sand so I have a good area to practice. I also need to get over my fear of crossing water. There are miles and miles of good sandy trails near me if I could only cross this one creek. Oh well, I will figure it out.

Lee Wilson

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
kdx

if you get the kdx you will be satisfied with the power for awhile...its a good bike. It is a 2-stroke, so you have to mix the gas. the klx300 is nice, but it is heavy compared to the kdx. as far as reliability is concerned the kdx is almost unmatched.. it was desighned with loser tolerences than a ktm so it can go way longer between certain maintenance intervals such as top end jobs, and new clutch plates. provided you maintain the bike you wont have any problems reliability wise.
Tim

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Don't buy a KLX, its a playbike at best....

Learning to run a KDX wfo will make you a great rider......

Why not a year or two old KDX, ride it for a couple of years, make payments to the new KTM300 account for those same couple of years, and buy a new KTM when you turn 18 or 19.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. I have decided to buy a KDX200 and race in the 200 class. I found a 2001 KDX200 for $3500, it has a new pipe, redone forks, new kick-start and too much else to list. The shop manager at one of the Kawasaki shops here in Houston owned it. The big thing is it that it has less then 300 miles on it! I am going to try and look at the bike and convince my folks that it’s a good deal. Thanks again for all the help.

Lee Wilson

Top Bottom