JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
this summer we are moving to a subdivision and we will go from a 4 car garage to a 2 car garage. my dad is a huge garage hog, i barely got any room in the 4 car! now that were moving he says there will be no room for me to work on my dirtbike and store it in the garage.

(he isnt very supportive of my new dirtbiking hobby and doesnt seem to want to help very much)

anyway my question is do you think a 1 or 2 horse trailer would work as a hauler/ work area? im sure i could store the dirtbike in the garage but no room for tools or work area. my aunt that im gettin the bike from works with horses so i could get one for next to nothing

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
If it will fit a horse, it will fit a bike. I was going to steal my wife's trailer just for that purpose. Unfortunately, she hasn't bought one yet

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I've used the Horse trailer to haul the bike around with no problem. If you want some extra room for the stuff, try finding an older 3 horse slant load. The partitions in those slants usually allow you to take them out, thus giving you a lot of side to side room. Older straight load trailers often have a more permanant center partition that doesn't move.

Just because you Aunt works with horses, don't think she will get a great deal. Just like bikes people are selling for the money. Unless she has one of her own she no longer wants.

If you do go that route, pull up the rubber floor mats and power wash the heck out of the floor boards and mats with hot soapy water. Even at that I don't think on a hot day you will like the smell ;)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, I second bsmith's comments. There is always going to be that aroma......

A horse trailer will be built to haul several thousand pounds. Horses are heavy, and they usually need a couple hundred pounds of alfalfa to along with them. The trailers are built heavy, way overkill for a dirt bike. If it is a trailer that you are just going to borrow from time to time, then fine (except for the smell) but if the trailer will be yours you will be a lot better off selling it to someone who needs a horse trailer and buying a trailer better suited to your needs.

Seriously: If all you want to do is haul a dirt bike there are plenty of cheap trailers about. A very common source of trailers are trailers intended to haul a single Jet ski/PWC. People buy one, with a trailer. Then they decide to buy a second one, and buy a double trailer to haul both. Now they have a single trailer with no purpose. No one needs a single PWC trailer.....

You can often pick up a real nice PWC trailer for next to nothing. Slap a piece of 3/4" plywood down over the frame and you have an instant flat bed trailer. You can add a set of rails if you want. It will easily haul two bikes and you can squeeze three if you try hard.

Rod

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
If your gonna use it for storage and a workshop I say go for it. Crime can be pretty bad in areas like that and im sure that no matter where you go you'll have some *#&@%$ &#!*@^ punk who will steal your bike out of the back of your truck or off your trailer.. Is easy two guys took my 450 from the back of my truck with 2 dics locks, one cable lock through both tires and frame then one more from the frame to the bed (not a hook the actual bed) even took my tie downs :|

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
about how much is a 1 or 2 bike trailer with walls and ceiling? like the box ones idk what theyre called.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
elcamino12sec said:
How about a good used 6x12 enclosed trailer, I think that would be a better option. You can customise it with a table, cabinets, power etc.... Just my .02

how much is one?

Top Bottom