250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Just an off-topic question, does anybody else here have or ride horses? I know this is an odd question, especially in a forum full of bikers.

Actually, my interest in horses is what got me into biking in the first place. I was, as most little girls are, crazy about horses, and I wanted one. I begged and begged until my parents were sick of me. Then one day when I was nine, they got an idea, they decided to de-rail the whole "horsey thing" buy buying me a dirtbike.It was going to be a family sport, so my parents got bikes too.To make a long story short, a few bad wipeouts later, I stopped riding my little 100, Mom sold her bike because she didn't like it,Dad quit riding, and I got a horse. I still rode my bike from time to time, but I didn't like it much, it had nasty suspension, no power, and fell down a lot. Then when I was 13, I spied Dad's old wr250 up in the shed, and decided to take it for a ride. That's when I realized what a real bike should feel like. I have been biking like crazy ever since. To this day I am afraid of wobbly little bikes :laugh:

As for horses, I currently have two; A 3 yr old Thoroughbred x Clydesdale, and an old(psychotic) Quarter Horse barrel racer. I ride problem horses for people, and work with green horses. I also ride and break racehorses, and do a small amount of showing on other peoples horses.

So, has anyody else here had any experience(good or bad) with horses?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Yes, they do have evil tendencies. Don't feel bad, I've been bitten, kicked, stepped on, and slammed into fences. I have been bucked off numerous times,and even had some psychotic ones go over backwards on me. My most recent incident was riding down the middle of the road for a mile, bareback, at a dead run. My horse bolted, and there was nothing I could do, I managed to stay on until I got in the yard, I thought my horse was going to run into the truck, so I bailed. Knocked the wind out of me, and scraped me up a bit, but I am just glad I didn't meet a vehicle on the road, or I would have been toast. It was a windy mountain road, so the vehicle wouldn't have seen me until it was too late, and it was downhill, altogether, it was a bad ride.

And I have had many "problem" horses do all sorts of nasty and dangerous things to me.I have spent lots of time flying through air, or, my personal favorite, underneath a running, bucking horse.I have learned lots from these experiences, and am now a very good rider.

Anyways, the moral of this is; If anybody has some less than dignified horse stories to tell, don't be emberassed or afraid to tell them. All horse people have been there. :nod:

UNiC650

Mar 2, 2008
my sister has been riding all her life (horses)
she now rides for her NCAA college
and trains horses for people, but ihave never ridden a horse haha

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Growing up, my mom and sister always wanted horses. They constantly went around looking at horses that were for sale. My little brother and I hated the idea of getting horses because they just meant that he and I would be shoveling horse s**t for the rest of our lives. Well during that time my brother and I wanted dirt bikes, and dad was definately all about getting some bikes too, but mom wouldnt allow it. There was pretty much a show down at the farm. Mom got her horses, and a month later we got dirt bikes. I didnt ride much back then, but after awhile of shoveling manure I figured I might as well get on and see what all the fuss is about. We have delt mostly with quarter horses, we have had a bunch of green backs, but we finally found a descent pair to keep. They are a fun hobby, but definately high maintenance. One of the best things I have found in the horse community is Horse Shows. They are a lot of fun to watch.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
RYDMOTO said:
I have the skill to ride 47 horses all at once! :ride:

Yup, I love horses.......the more the better!

Actually, a friend at work got into horses several years ago with his two young daughters. His Monday morning tales are enough to keep me away from horses forever. He's spent his life savings on horses, feed, barns, trailers, trucks, vet bills, and land. Both his girls and his wife have spent time in the emergency room as a result of riding and caring for the stupid beasts of burden.

No thanks, dirtbikes are far cheaper and safer!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I grew up on dirtbikes and horses. I won't ever own another horse. I trained yearling halter and team roped while in school. Yanno what... I think I took up riding quads right after I was kicked in the head by a damned horse. I guess that would splain that back to back stupidity! ;)

All kidding aside.... I was pretty damned good with the beasts... but look at what I still do 25 years later... just dirtbikes. There is no replacement for those!

Stupid horse stories.... I had buckskin mare that would lay down in standing water or rivers. If you got anywhere near water... you better get off and take the saddle off or you were all getting wet.

We had a violent brood mare (ex-track horse that must have been abused) that produced incredible stock but she was freaking mean. If she had a foal and it was time to clean the stall.... you better be behind the wheel barrow for protection. A 7 year old kid came over with his family and was sitting on a split rail fence that surrounded a pasture she was in. I was too far away to warn them and all I saw was that mare hauling ass across the pasture, come breaking in like a reigning horse, and freaking bite the kid in the back of the head! It was a bite with some momentum behind it. The only way you could touch that mare was if she was restrained. It really was sad....

I've got a billion horror stories about the stupid stuff the animals do when freaked out...

Like I said... just bikes for me. Those damned horses are too damned unpredictable!

Apr 30, 2007
Well. I took a few horse riding lessons when I was ten.

It was fun, because I didn't own the horses I rode. When I was done for the day, we did a little maintenence on them (brushing etc.), and put them away.

Then my cousin, who lived only a mile away, got two horses. After spending way too much time helping her take care of them, I decided something.

I prefer dirtbikes.

For example (there might be a few to follow). I can turn it off, and provided no one steals it, it stays there. It doesn't require two daily feedings in the winter.

I may have to worry about the quality of materials I feed my dirtbike, but if it does happen to get a "bug," I don't have to worry about it sharing diseases with other dirtbikes in the same shed.

It plays nicely with others (when by itself), and no unexpected fights break out when I turn my back.

The smells left by my dirtbike are pleasant (2 stroke smoke :) ), and it repels flies instead of attracting them!

It doesn't require a large amout of grooming, and it doesn't have fur. Also, it is not scared of loud noises. It doesn't kick when I walk around behind it either...

Lastly, I don't have to throw bales, and it does not accumulate large messes in the garage where I keep it.

Please don't think I'm dissing horses! If you own one, or a bunch, that's fine by me! I will keep riding my dirtbike!

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Funny story here as well.

Never having grown up, I spent a lifetime dreaming of horses...... ....about the same time I settled on a dirtbike as my cheap alternative to horses my neighbors decided they would give my daughter horseback lessons. (I gave her the choice between the two. She wisely hedged that she could have the best of both worlds by choosing the horse lessons. ) We'd ridden trail rides here and in Montana in the previous years, she loved it, never had a problem....

But the very first lesson, the very first day.... the grooming and prep had my kid watery eyed and sneezing before she got on the horse. I gave her some benadryl or something which didn't even take the edge off. An hour of really nice riding and some evidence of natural seat abilities later, we pulled her off the horse. Man, she looked bad..... The little trooper said she was willing to take lessons drugged and with a gas mask...alas... My neighbors were like "uh, no".

She still thinks "when we move to Ireland" it's gonna be all dirtbikes and horses. Lol.

Personally, with four pets in the house and one unwelcome freeloader, I'm very thankful for one less creature to deal with...Like everyone else has said- it's nice to be able to put your faithful steed in the shed and just ignore it for a few months if need be. Call me cold and unsentimental, but that works for me these days.

Now...if only I could get rid of that shrew that tap dances in my attic at night...

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I got like 30 of the beasts right know, 5 are the wife and kids and the rest we board for other people!

Experience=expensive ;)

Top Bottom