Hospital Flaming

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
The Bad News (but not neccesarily bad) - My mom's in the hospital because of muscle spasm, irregular heartbeat,and as tested from recent tests - low on potassium.
She's wide awake, and everything, and i should say, she's a medical assistant. Well, anyways, she wants to get out of there badly. Isn't even there for a full day, and she wants to be home.
If she wasnt A ok, i wouldn't be flaming, but she is, so, i'm ranting.
One, she says she doesn't like it there.( the way she said it..)
Mom, when YOU spend TWO WEEKS in a LIFE OR DEATH situation, the first 5 or 6 days being in ICU with nothing to eat for 7 days but ice cubes and water that tastes like crap, and morphine does no good for you, and food is terrible and both lungs are deflated, have trouble breathin, AND you have needles in both arms, neck, and tubes going down your throat then, yes, i will agree with you.
But, the hospital she's at, lucky her, food is better than what i went thru, the bed mattress is actually thicker than the one i had, had a river view, etc., so i really dont see why she needs to complain. She only has one needle in her arm, not five, like I.
I guess, what i'm also trying to say is, you shouldn't take everything for granted, there's going to be a time and place when, you wont have what you want. And you're going to have to live with it. And for my mom, its only for a day and a half.
One last thing about hospital, they should really pay attention to their air conditioners. Some, have poor ac. i actually got phneumonia (spelling wrong??) just from that.
I know, i am most likely complaining, here, but its also a rant, and it needed to be said. And i'm sure some of you people have had similar experiences with hospitals....or not.:silly:

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I don't understand how anyone can flame a hospital. Honestly, where else are you supposed to go when you snap your wrist, break your leg, get some internal bleeding. These people work there asses just to save yours and mine on a daily basis. My sister is a RN and she isn't just a nurse at work, she is one 24/7 just like a police officer or a firefighter. So the next time your laying out in traffic, and there's a off duty fireman/nurse/cop at your side, maybe you should show them a little more respect.

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
don't get me wrong, i do show them respect. i do know a few people who are nurses themselves and work very hard at it and are great at it. I'm not flaming at the nurses. And i do realize that if they weren't around today, i wouldnt be ALIVE today. Especially with all the technology they have, they do a great job. And i realize not all hospitals are this and that. I'm just flaming about this one hospital. Yes, the nurses there were very gracious, and helping, and talked you through those tough times, etc.
Its the hospital building itself and the things they supply.
When you just went through back surgery with rods in your back, and you can't move because you are so weak, can't even move your head, or arms, it'd be a little more comforting if the mattresses they supplied were bigger than 2 inches. having to lay on your back that recently went through 9hr hell on a 2inch mattresses and sheets that feel like paper, isn't what you need.
Again, i'm not flaming on people, its the hospital building, and the way they do things. And i realize not all hospitals are like this.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
There are indeed some very bad hospitals in this world. Sometimes it's upper management, sometimes it's external constraints, and sometimes, sorry to say, it's the medical staff itself.

It's like anything else where people are involved -- sometimes they're good, and sometimes they're bad. In the hospital environment, everything's amplified, so that the good become Gods, and the bad deeply resented.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Oh man let me tell my daughters hospital story. Sept 10 my daughter was in a accident, they lost control on a corner and ended up in a ditch. They were both wearing their seat belts ( this particular model has auto belts ) but they both broke off at the head rail sending both of them into the windshield. When I first saw her I had to thank God that Shea and her boyfriend were still among us, but this is were the story begins.

Her face was covered with blood and we were told it was going to take some stitches to get everything closed up, but first they would take some Xrays. The first thing they had to do was remove all her earrings ( 4 ea. side ) but did not have the tool to do it, so the search began, 45 mins later they return with a brand new pair of needle nose pliers that a nurse bought at the Home Depot down the street. In the meantime they gave her some drug to help her headache that just kicked her butt. While removing her earrings they drop the pliers and hit her on the forehead,I mouth off and was told by my wife to go get a coffee before I killed someone, while I was gone they took her to get her Xrays,instead of taking in a wheelchair, they made her walk and she passed out halfway down the hall. This was more than I could take, if it was'nt for my wife and my son who is twice my size I would be in jail right now.

Well almost 2 wks later her stitches are out and it looks pretty good, but she'll have a scar,which she thinks looks pretty cool "guys like scars" ( duh )

And God, Thanks again :cool: :cool:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
We're in a small town, and have but one hospital, fortunatly we have one of the best hospitals in the state. I've often wondered how you could sue a hospital and then have to go to it? Wouldn't that be a bit tough? "Say Jim, isn't this the guy (you out cold in the ambulance) that is suing the hospital for $10 million?"

I was happy with my last MX related visit to the hospital, Bunch of x-rays, no cast's, some advice and some painkillers. I was out about $400 and 2 months of chest agony from bruised ribs and clavical.

One of my employees, a 23 year old mother of 2 was misdiagnosed at the same hospital, and died of cancer at the age of 23... that's nuts. I think her husband should have sued, but he didn't feel he could win, and was generally to stunned to think about that kind of thing... who dies at 23 of cancer? just a tradgedy.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hospital stories

I've never personally had any problems with our local horse-pistol, but my nephew (my brother's boy) had to go in with a fear of meningitis. He was in so much pain that he finally passed out, still moaning in our sleep. I'd asked my brother if they'd given him anything for the pain, he said no. Not even any freaking Tylenol! Now, I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that Tylenol is pretty benign and wouldn't affect any tests, but sheesh, give the kid a little break!

They flew him to Spokane on the helicopter, and everything turned out okay, but sometimes I wonder about the care he got . . . :think

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
im response to what maru16 said about the air conditioning...when i broke my collarbone they took off my jersey in the ambulance so when i got to the hospital it was pretty damn cold. on top of that, the fluid in the IV was freezing cold which didnt make things any better. finally someone came into the room and i asked him for a blanet. he says yeah sure i'll grab you one...20 mins later he comes back w/ a freaking beach towell and says they dont have any blankets...it helped a little but not much, then a nurse came in and saw the towell and asked if i was cold, i said yeah and w/in 2 mins she was back w/ a blanket fresh out of the heater so it was nice and warm...amazing how she made one appear out of nowhere when the other guy couldnt find one anywhere

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
It's not always the hospital staff or the building ...

My last visiit to the hospital was over food poisoning - I had been sick for over 24 hours and really really felt puny. I waited in the waiting room for over 6 hours before being seen.. while waiting in there I had to endure two little kids running and screaming all over the place jumping up and down... it was like a damn carnival in there - the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grans and gramps) every freakin body was in there and they were laughing and carrying on - while here I sit with a headache close to migraine, not able to keep anything in my stomache longer than 5 minutes and weak as I can be trying to sit up in a freakin chair...

I was [ .. ] that close to getting up and going over to one of their little kids and puking on them claiming afterwards to have some horrible disease.. I guess my rant is that there is a time and place for everything and the ER waiting room (where people want to feel miserable quitely) is not the place for snot nosed parents and their bratty no mannered children!!! Agggggg

Damn people can be stupid...

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Jeff, I'm not laughing at you at all,but that's too damn funny and true

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Ouch!:o

ER's DO suck, but the primary problem goes back to the screaming kids/families Jeff's talking about. That is, YOU AND I are paying for these jobless folks to come to the ER for every cold, sniffel, or cut. Why? They are either unwilling or cannot pay for clinic visits. Many clinics demand money up front and will refuse to allow such patients to see a doctor, including mine (typically without my knowledge). ER's cannot refuse to see ANY patient based on EMPTALA laws/guidelines. Therefore, the primary care physician becomes the ER doc. In turn, the ER staff gets overworked and sick of seeing "colds" at 11PM, thus slowing ER processing time and resulting inherently in suboptimal care for patients like Jeff.

I agree also, that some Hospitals themselves are terrible, whether it be from a cleanliness, staff, food or service aspect. Ours is actually terrible. I have been bitching for 2 years, and it's gotten me nowhere. Even constructive criticism goes by the wayside. The source of those issues are the dingleberries in the management positions sitting in their offices and/or meetings with little or no practical experience, "legislating" hospital practice without accurately considering the results of their decision. These people typically think everything is "peachy keen" out there. :silly:

However, I did well in Med School (4.0) and had my choice of IM training programs. As such, I was able to see some so-called "great" hospitals. It's the same everywhere, except Mayo in Rochester, where the patient comes first. (Why I didn't rank them is another story :) ) Mass General (Harvard, Boston) is an old/decrepid place and looks like a VA inside. Johns Hopkins, even with its great rep, is a literal DUNGEON. And I mean it. I was extremely depressed just walking through the place. Very small rooms, dark hallways, and the ER is UNDERGROUND in a "black" painted facility. :scream: Other places aren't even worth listing. Thank God I interviewed at UCSD (University of California at San Diego), because the hospital and grounds were bright, clean and on days off it was the ocean, palmtrees and 75 degrees. :)

A little off topic, but nonetheless, this is an insider's opinion. The point of all that b.s. is that it's about the same way everywhere, and the root of the problem is management, not typically staff. Nurses have to do too many damn things (paperwork, typing ridiculous computer progress notes, "assesments", and crap you would be horrified to find out about), and they cannot spend enough time with patients. End of story.

If you're wondering, I'm back here for several reasons. 1) It's home, 2) I signed a contract with this clinic halfway through residency and they supported my exhorbidant California cost of living, and 3) I'm fulfilling a KMS (Kansas Medical Society) contract. They paid my Med School tuition and gave me 1500 bones/mo. to boot. Great setup.

Best wishes, all. I truely wish things were better.

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
You know Jeff, if you were in a room, and not the ER, and those kids were in the other bed next to you, you could ask a nurse to knock ya out. Seriously, they can do that, so that you don't have to suffer.:p

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Nephron,

That's nothing, Our local hospital is so back woods that to view possible broken bones, they have you stand in front of a guy that's welding while the doctors try look through you. The guy doing the welding was named Ray. He has since gotten a sex change operation and changed his first name to Ramonahasenoffel. Nobody can remember that, so they just tell people to go that ex-Ray's department... :confused:

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
lol stormer where do you live? cuz i wanna make sure i never get hurt while i'm there!

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
YoTRacer158,

Montana =0) (nuff said)

Actually, we can't get an x-ray everyday, because it takes the entire custodial staff to ride the bicycles hooked to the generator to run the welder... :confused:

Nah, I'm kiddin. I'm told that we actually have one of the nicest hospitals in the state, for technology, doctors, and the facility as a whole. I don't know how, but we have some seriously over qualified Doctors here. Our pediatrist actually spent time with the olympic ski team (don't know the years), and is quite knowledgeable in sports medicine (which is good for me). :)

cr514

Aug 22, 2001
I personally have had good and bad experiences at hospitals. Last year I walked in an ER with a fever, barfing, and a sore shoulder only to be told it was a virus and I needed to get some rest. The next day I walked back into the same ER with same problems only worse. This time they decided to admit me because they figured they I must have injured myself riding my dirt bike two days earlier. next came a MRI and about two hours later I couldnt breathe so they sent me to ICU, only trouble was they could not find any o2 on the floor. Thats about all I remember for the next seven weeks:( I woke up about seven weeks later to find out I was air lifted to another hospital and that somehow I had gotten flesh eating bacteria and they had to cut a 1 foot by 2 foot area of my left side I was basically cut form my armpit to my waist and from my belly button to the middle of my back, I lost about one third of my left pectoral muscle and they were not sure if they could save my feet. must all of my organs had stopped working at one point including the old ticker:scream: . Not to worry though after three months of laying in a hospital bed I walked out of that place with all limbs in place and about 6 months later I was back on the bike. I have not yet regained my full strength and endurance but its only been a little over a year now I was very lucky to get to a hospital that had great MDs and even luckier to survive something that only about 20% survive I can tell you some horror stories about my stay during that 3 months but I cant because the bottom line is they saved my life so I could ride another day. All hospitals and MDs are not perfect and they are going to make mistakes they are human, but they also save thousands of lives every year. I'll never forget my ordeal. I changed my number to 514 has a reminder about how short life really is. 5-14-01 is the day I was admitted in the hospital:) :) :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Funny story here

There's a hospital in Seattle that has (or at least 10 years ago it had) a bar in the lobby. When all the commercial fleets are in harbor, the fisherman don't have to stumble very far to get stitched up after every fight. :scream:

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
that was a smart thing. seriously. A bar, right in the hospital. Can't ask for more can ya? Medical assistance less than a minute away!:confused:

Top Bottom