ALB

Mar 23, 2006
I got my first bike in 28years this past June,an 05 CRF450.I don't get to ride much so the bike has appx. 8hrs on it,and up until this point it has been great.I have done normal prep before and after each ride with no problems at all,however I fired it up today to let it run a bit(I live in very cold weather) and after maybe 8 or 10 min. it started to spit antifreeze out the overflow tube and started to get very hot.The only thing I could think of that was different was that I had changed the oil and filter,although the flow looked good I let it cool down and replaced the filter just to be safe.I refired it and after maybe 10 min. it was spitting some out of the overflow tube and showing some signs of steam as well so I shut it down.As I said this is my first bike in 28yrs so my knowledge of the 4 strokes is very limited,I thought maybe the rad. cap might have gone bad.I figure when in doubt ask,so if anyone could give some input on this it would be great.Please help an old dirt eater with some new knowledge this will probably be the last bike I get so I really want to take good care of it and avoid costly repairs.Many Thanks ahead of time.ALB

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Sounds like it needs some air flow too the radiators too cool off the coolant.. No worries.. My 06 can only sit for a few minutes before spitting coolant..
Hope this helps,
Rick

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
rickyd said:
Sounds like it needs some air flow too the radiators too cool off the coolant.. No worries.. My 06 can only sit for a few minutes before spitting coolant..
Hope this helps,
Rick

Yep, It's not made to sit and idle for any given time period. Get on, warm it up for a minute then go ride it, or shut it down. YZ165

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
8 to 10 minute is too long to let any 450 four stroke sit and idle - they all spit coolant if left idling for that long. Three minutes or so is the maximum time you should let it sit and idle (the time recommended in the manual before checking oil level). Less than that if you're just warming it up to go ride.

Oh yeah...it's also normal if your head pipe glows brightly in the dark. :nod: It just means it's alive.

Last edited:

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks guys,I've been tossing and turning all night about this.Please pardon my ignorance on the new bikes but the last I raced was when if you heard a 4 stroke at the track it was very odd,now if you hear a 2 stroke it seems odd.I thank you for the help and if it's not a problem,I may well ask more questions in the future as I would like to understand the newer bikes better.Thank you very much.ALB

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
No prob, i just bought my four stroke a few weeks ago, i got alot of questions too :)
Oh yeah, welcome back too MX :aj:

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks rickyd,I had been away a long long time( diagnosed congestive heart failure) but got a pacemaker in June of 05,what a difference.The funny thing is after I started feeling better the primary thought in my mind was one I had not had in a very long time,Riding and to be honest I forgot what a great life it is and the great people involved in it.So Thanks much and HAPPY RIDING.

SICKSEVENBOSS

Mar 25, 2006
Here might be some helpful advice for ya ALB. If you live where its cold, you should run 10w-30 oil in your rocket, i live in arizona and its hot and cold this time of year so i run a 20w-50. When i first bought my bike it had 10w-30 in it and it ran way too hot for my climate. Also if you are in a high altitude setting , the jeting in your carb may be way to lean hense causeing that baby to get glowing hot fast. Now you should not idle with the choke on for any longer than needed, once she's warm bring her down and let it rip. If problems persist bring into your house at night and tuck her in that way she does'nt get cold. Hey ALB welcome back stay safe and have fun.

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for the input SICKSEVENBOSS,To be totally honest I keep her in the house day and night and have ever since I bought her off the showroom floor in June but I let her out once in a while to eat a little dirt.That seems to keep us both happy.Thanks again,ALB

Top Bottom