hot cams with automatic decomp for a yz426?

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
I was wondering if anone has used hotcamswith automatic decompression in their YZ 426. Is it worth the money and will it make starting easier? are they hard to put in? any help is appreciated!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yes, it's easy to install, it makes the bike MUCH easier to start, and it's probably the best value you'll find for the early YZFs.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You will need a manual and a shim kit. The valves will have to be reshimmed after installing the new cams. The manual will show you how to time the cams and how to adjust the valves.

If you engine has very much time on it, it would be a good idea to remove the cylinder head and inspect all of the valves and guides for wear. Depending upon what grind you get, you will most likely have to replace the valve springs and check the spring pack. It would be a good idea to replace the springs anyway.

It would also be a good time to check and/or replace your piston and rings. At least the rings. The piston should be measured and inspected for wear. If it has a lot of time on it, it should be replaced. A new piston comes with rings, wrist pin and clips. Same with the cam chain and also inspect the cam chain sliders. You will also need a top-end gasket kit.

I would be a little reluctant to purchase a cam off of fleabay. Be sure you know what grind you are buying and make sure it is a new cam not a used one.

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
yz hot cams

the cams on fleabay are new. how much do you think that would cost to have done? i am reluctant to do it myself because its my first time doing it. obviously the second time is much easier.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The auto-decomp cam is an easy install, like mentioned.
I think it's HotCams that provides a little note in the box advising on probable shim changes needed. Great time to actually learn the shimming procedure properly.
A search nets a couple of good tutorials here for shimming the valves. It really is not difficult.
Heck, even a girl can do it! (duck)

For an almost instantaneous change of bike character, you can simply change out the exhaust cam before delving into other more intense work.

I can't imagine buying a cam from gaybay.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
People used to call our shop asking if they could buy empty Hot Cams boxes from us. We found out later through the folks at Hot Cams that people have been selling used cams in Hot Cams boxes on fleabay. They have gone as far as painting them black to make them look like Hot Cams.

You'd have to be out of your mind to buy a cam from a random seller on fleabay.

You can buy them from www.mxsouth.com and KNOW you are getting the real thing. They can also get you the Hot Cams shim kit for a good price.

crazycarl7

Oct 14, 2007
yz 426 shims

Thanks for all the info. I will definatley not buy from gaybay!! one more question, can you just replace all the shims with new shim the same size or is each individual shim need o be the certain size. it seems toi me like they must have all been the same size when the bike was built or am i mistake.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Assuming your valve lash is within spec., you will probably need to change the shim thickness of the exhaust valve shims.
It may seem intimidating, but the shim work is really not hard at all. BUT, you will need to learn it to do the work properly. Like I suggested before, do a search here on the procedure. Read it and try to get a bit of it in your head, and it will answer most all of your questions.
I'm sure if you do read it, our help will be of more worth. If not, you are simply not going to get the job done...unless you let a dealer hose you. Which I don't suggest.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom