ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
Hello, as you know Im obviously new and thats why Im posting here in these forums. I just wanted a quick explanation of what exactly a "hot start" is. I was riding with a buddy of mine who owns a four stroke and told me he has to "hot start these" Thanks

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It's a mechanism that allows some extra air to be pulled into the carb to lean out the mixture when starting a hot 4 stroke.

I'll move this to the right forum...

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
So its an actual part thats within the motor of the bike that sucks in extra air? Is there a different technique to starting the bike, i mean do you have to lay into the thing when kicking it or what?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the "hot start" is generally a button, like the choke, that just does the opposite.

a choke allows in less fresh air for a cold start situation.

the hot start allows in more fresh air for a, er, well, hot start situation.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
ep1k said:
... do you have to lay into the thing when kicking it or what?
Because 4 strokes only fire on every other revolution of the motor, you have to do a more complete kick from the very top all the way to the bottom of the kickstarter stroke. That is true hot or cold.

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
Yeah i generally thought they were a little harder to start, question. Is it somewhat normal for a 2stroke bike to stall out when its just sitting in idle (like you know when your riding all day, you take a water break and start your bike and then after 2 min it dies)

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ep1k said:
Yeah i generally thought they were a little harder to start, question. Is it somewhat normal for a 2stroke bike to stall out when its just sitting in idle (like you know when your riding all day, you take a water break and start your bike and then after 2 min it dies)

i have the same problem someone told me to adjust the idle screw

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
ep1k said:

if you've been riding all day, you're bike should be warm enough to idle.
next time you come back from riding, and your bike is warm, turn the idle screw in until it idles.

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
I have no idea where the idle screw is located (its s 98' 200) do you know where its at in realation to the choke?

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
Its not so much a problem with the idle as it is that the bike just runs different overall.

It kind of gets the hiccups and runs at a more noticeable high rpm.

Top Bottom