OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I know this isnt directly motorcycle related, but.......
Was reading an article on Yahoo about a new federal law (upcoming) about increasing the rear crash test speeds on newer cars from 30mph to 50 mph.
Suposedly almost 50% of cars on the road today will NOT be able to pass these tests.
How in all blazing hades are auto manufacturers supposed to meet these outrageous unrealistic saftey standards, make the thing get 100 mpg, and still have a slight shadow of an inkling of what us old hotrodders call "soul""guts"FUN"???
How about teaching people to DRIVE the dang things correctly instead of making them safer for the idiots that dont care if they mow you down or not.
o.k. i like safety, i like the fact that the car my son drives (Mitsubishi Galant) will protect him better in a crash than, say, my old modified Thunderbird GT.
But..........oh crap, COME ON!!!!!
What am i gonna be driving when im ready to retire?
A 1 cylinder 5bph 6,000 lb super duper ultra turd???????
I gew up with Mustang GT's, Z28's, Roadrunners, for 14 years i sold parts to , and restored Shelby Cobras and AC Cobras.
Man, i was hoping someday my son might want to buy/restore a classic treasure, but now......... :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/opinion/article/0,1299,DRMN_38_2444942,00.html

What the freaks next?
Airbags and side beams on my xr650??????

Go ahead and deleat, i know its not dirtbike related, but i just HAD to get this off my chest.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
There's no way that older cars will be required to meet these standards. All the classics are safe.

Dawn Matthews is apparently a moron. If she would concentrate on teaching her children how to drive a car, she would have less time for histrionics.

What's with the all the coverage that speed is getting? CNN keeps trumpeting "TRAFFIC DEATHS HAVE RISEN 38% SINCE 70mph LIMITS WERE PUT INTO EFFECT!"

They forget to mention that the number of fatalities per mile driven is actually LESS than it was when the limit was 55. They also fail to mention that there are 50% more drivers on the roads. OF COURSE fatalities will rise when you increase the number of people on the roads.

Gotta love the slanted BS. It must be the IIHS who's behind the spin.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
can you imagine what they would think of modern sportbikes?

my daughter is 12. her first car will be a restored '65 mustang (with a six-banger). maybe they'll charge me with child abuse for putting her in an unsafe car?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
My letter to the editor:
I understand this was an opinion piece, but as a journalist myself, I could hardly force myself to read it--except I was shocked and angry enough that I had to. Aside from Dawn Mathews' metaphor-laden rhetoric, her article showed a serious lack of analytical thought.

She mentions that car manufacturers try to "seduce" or "trick" people into thinking they need a fast car. Well, the bulk of people who WANT a fast car are going to be LOOKING for one . . . not being hoodwinked into changing their mind from a nice practical Echo or Metro.

Also, the "fast" cars currently on the market are more and more safe with each passing year . . . have you (or has Dawn) ever driven a 1960s-era muscle car? 400 horsepower, 450 ft-lbs of torque, rear wheel drive, manual steering, drum brakes . . . and 30+ year old suspension, handling, steering and aerodynamic technology. And yet the young people of that generation somehow survived to adulthood.

Finally, she insults her readers by assuming they take the car commercials as fact! How many of us believe what we see on TV? Even the most naive watcher, by the time they are of an age to be shopping for a car, understands a.) "professional driver shown on a closed course," b.) digital imagery enhancement, and c.) HYPERBOLE in advertising. Anyone who takes any advertisement for literal fact needs help--they must be the same people who believe you can drop a pallet of cinderblocks in the bed of a Tundra without buckling it or win a drag race in a pickup with a loaded trailer behind it against a 'Cuda or pass Porsches on a windy canyon in an SUV while pulling a boat.

How can we blame the manufacturer? They are trying to sell a product, just like every company out there. You can't hold the consumer responsible for what they decide, of their own free will, to do with the product they have purchased. Just like it's always the gun's fault when someone is shot, not the person holding it? How long can we keep blaming our actions on inanimate objects?

People like Dawn need to look for ways to correct a growing problem, not point fingers at blameless entities. Maybe driver's education needs to be more in depth, or more stringent at exam time. Maybe more tax money needs to be spent on keeping road conditions safe and safety markings in good repair. Maybe parents need to impress, or scare, their kids into understanding what a huge responsibility driving is (mine certainly did!). Don't go around blaming everyone--we need to take responsibility, not whine that "somebody TRICKED me.".

What a load of crap! That article was impressive--impressive that anyone would publish it! I canNOT stand such overstated, metaphor-laden CRAP. That's like the Harlequin novels of "news."

. . . Have you ever noticed how car sellers push speed? Advertising in the automobile industry targets those who seek and worship this drug . . . Hahahahah. That must be for the people who can't differentiate between the fantasy of a commercial and the real world of SPEEDING TICKETS, which will slow you down a lot faster than the possibility of wrecking. Granted there ARE people that dumb--but they're the ones writing dumb articles, not buying the cars that are so dangerous!

. . . Unfortunately, they are offering our children up as sacrifices to the gods of speed and power. . . . The editor who printed that should be shot.

. . . Someday, I hope the reality of combining speed with driving finds its way into car advertisements. Truth in automobile advertising would be a refreshing approach: Drive fast and furious and death will come sooner rather than later. . . . Oh gag me.

. . . In 2002, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 39 percent of male drivers 15 to 20 years old involved in fatal crashes were speeding at the time of the crash. . . . And that's definitely the CAR and MANUFACTURER's fault, not the driver's? Just like it was the GUN that killed all those kids, not the person holding it? How long can we keep blaming our actions on inanimate objects? (And I will NOT touch the tempting bait offered by the fact only male statistics were quoted)

. . . impressive numbers of 162 foot- pounds of torque and 162 horsepower . . . 162 is impressive? Compared to what, a 3-cylinder Sprint?

Last edited:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Some people have too much time on their hands. How about we teach these kids how to drive properly and quit looking for scapegoats.

Steve

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The hazy search for Nirvana fuels many of the obviously slanted views on how we should live.

I may be getting old and cranky, but it seems to me that most everyone you see on the hiway today needs to learn how to drive, no matter the vehicle.
Try giving yourself a cars length for every ten MPH between you and the car in front....(which is standard for most states driving laws)
You will no doubt have your safe space invaded by Joe Schmo who feels you are going way too slow and should be tailgating. So he passes you and tailgates. Of course, Joe will get no closer to his objective than one car space, but hey, he is now ahead of you. So you drop back to a safe distance behind Joe, and Viola! Your safe space is taken up by Janey Jerko! (had to remain gender correct for Sharla's sake) :)

Now when the tractor-trailor up ahead has to emergency brake for a wreck, Joe and Jane will be involved in a crash no doubt. They had NO TIME to react or stop. Joe will be wanting to sue the car mfg's becasue his car didn't withstand Janes smash into his rear end. The driver who kept the safe distance, however, will simply be able to go around the accident and wave to Joe and Jane as they wait for the ambulance, insurance adjusters, and lawyers to arrive.

It really all boils down to the fact that people are quite stupid. And it's very hard to legislate intellegence.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have some ideas for the safest possible car there could be

Every driver seat should be mounted out on the front bumper. Just set the person who is in control out in the open like some Aztec sacrifice. You have two things going for you ; no such thing as a false sense of security and natural selection for the few that can't respect it.

every horn should be wired directly to the brakes. Have you ever noticed nobody just slows down nope they have to blast the horn. this coupled to the fact that you are mounted out in the open every time you blast that horn in anger you do a face plant with a good possibilty of running yourself over. heck you could probably sell tickets for that show.

some type of radar device that notices you are in traffic wired to the steering wheel and seat. If in traffic and the car senses that you shifted your wieght excessively with only one hand on the steering wheel. Kinda like when you are fumbling with the stereo, looking for the dropped cigarette,looking for the cell phone , etc etc, the car just shuts off boom no go .

I bet in less than 5 years you will have a much greater percentage of people who will drive the way they are supposed to. Mr. Trying To Cool The Crotch Coffee Spiller won't be going anywhere,Mr Horn Blower will be in a full lock faceplant and Mr. Tailgater will be literally eating rear bumper.

Otherwise we will be looking at helmet laws for car drivers and seat belt laws for bike riders in the future.

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
It really all boils down to the fact that people are quite stupid. And it's very hard to legislate intellegence.

Jay you hit the nail on the head there big time, I believe with all of the technology advances we see nowadays people dont have to think for themselves, the government thinks they are saving us by legislating trying to save us from ourselves and common sense is going right out the window.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Did I hear that the study was sponsored by the Insurance industry?
I find that odd. We all know they would rather we die quickly in an accident rather than a long and costly recovery.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067
IEvery driver seat should be mounted out on the front bumper. Just set the person who is in control out in the open like some Aztec sacrifice. You have two things going for you ; no such thing as a false sense of security and natural selection for the few that can't respect it.

I have been saying for a LONG time there should be a barbed spike in the center of steering wheels instead of padded horn buttons. :p

Remember when air bags first came out back in the 70's? There was an ad that had the teaser ... This Man is a Double Miracle. The story line went on to explain that he had bought an LTD with airbags and then hit a tree and lived BECAUSE of the air bag. He was so impressed he bought another LTD. The damn fool did it again.

I drove up I45 from Houston to Dallas last night. About every 10 miles there is a sign in the median reminding everyone to drive in the right hand lane except when passing. I spent most of my time in the righthand land lane and passed numerous cars and trucks. It isn't like one lane is smoother than the other. The funniest was a Civic that moved to the right to let me by, only to move right back into the left lane after I passed. When he did, his/her headlights illuminated one of the reminder signs. I wish the DPS would enforce the law regading driving in the right lane. Oh, and there is the story about the guy driving with all his interior lights on, papers in his lap and a cell phone in his ear. All that while passing me at 80+ ...

Texas drives sux ... Ask Okie!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
LOL!! And Okies' take a lot of heat for not knowing how to drive! 16 years living up north allowed to to forget "how to drive" down here.

I find it funny that people say northerners are rude drivers. Sorry... they are a lot more rude here. Maybe not rude, maybe they just have HUTA (head up the ass) syndrome? There are a lot of examples and as Tony knows, I can spend some time talking about it, lol.

Up north:
You are sitting at an intersection. There is a parking lot entrance. Do you block the entrance on the red light, or stop short and leave it open so folks can come and go (this is while you are stopped at a red light remember)? You leave it open. And! BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!! Someone is sitting in said entrance, wanting to turn out onto the road. Do you block them in or as above, stop a little short and wave them out, letting them go in front of you? You've looked in your rear view (yes, it's that thing hanging from the windshield that is NOT to check your make-up/shave job from this morning) and can plainly see, that if you don't let them out, there are 500 other cars behind you that surely won't.

The "wave out" is common practice up north. Here? "No way are you getting in front of me sucker!!!"

Oh and if you do execute a wave out, or actually LET someone into your lane ( a "wave over") that's been trying to get over for 15 minutes as the morons ignore them, if you are kind, a WAVE OF THANKS from the driver is in order.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
I agree with the fact that there are entirely way too many stupid people on the roads nowadays, thats what made me decide to keep my dirtbike, instead of selling it to get a Harley. Its funny how how accidents have gone up with the 70 mph speed limit, almost all accidents I see are on regular city roads, mainly cause some idiot didn't stop for a light or stop sign or cause somebody pulled out not seeing the car that was twenty feet away coming right at them. Sure there are alot of accidents that involve the dumb kid that just watched The Fast and the Furious and wants to go race someone. But, alot of the time its the middle aged dumb s*!% who was doing the things he should be doing in they're office or the old person only looking at where they want to go, instead of all around like they should.

Not that long ago I was leaving the store, going down a drive when an old lady pulled out from another store and almost hit me. When she pulled up on the other side of me she said she was sorry and didn't see me, well guess what there was nothing blocking her view and absolutly nothing around me that would make it hard to see me other than she didn't turn her head to look.

Awhile before that I stopped at a 4 way stop, proceeded to drive thru, when all of a sudden another old lady decided to roll thru the stop sign, turn right, and side swiped me, she then pulled off to side of the road and proceeded to hit someones mailbox. Later she told the cop I hit her and she could understand why I hit her. Yeah, she got a ticket and I got a good sized dent in my very nice, and mint at the time 93 S10.

I also really enjoy the old people that drive in heavy traffic going atleast 10 or 15 mph slower than the majority of traffic causeing every one to get around then usually resulting in an accident as they just drive away. Sure they're still going, but if they had kept up with traffic there never would have been an accident.

Personally I think people should have to go through drivers training again at a certain age, and pass a road test in order to drive.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Here's the solution. The lawmakers pass laws requiring that all new vehicles have a "nerf bar" built into the perimeter of every type of vehicle, all at the same height, let's say 36 inches, just for giggles. Now, this will frog peepulls who want to either lower or raise their ride, but hey, it's all in the name of safety and not sacrificing our children to the speed and horsepower gods, right? So, now you have all these rigs with these nerf bars on them, and now instead of big ol' accidents, everything will work like bumper cars, then everyone can drive away happy.

Wait a minute . . . nerf bars . . . nerf . . . :think:

EUREKA!

We just build all cars out of Nerf! :yeehaw: Imagine all the lives we'll save, and everyone will just bounce off each other! Heck, we can put up taller barricades on the highways and driving will be like bumper bowling! We won't even have to worry about steering any more!

pure genius . . . :thumb:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
[B
The "wave out" is common practice up north. [/B]

It's pretty common practice here in Kalefornia too Okie. The only difference is, people here only use one finger. :scream:

After returning from a 6,000 mile trip to the East coast and zig zagging all over the country, I found most people to be very good drivers. Especially in the mid West, most people stay in the right lane except to pass and were very courteous. The one exception was driving through St. Louis during rush hour. Had a couple close one's there. :eek:

When we got back to Kalefornia we were only about 5 miles across the border when some yahoo in a lifted pick up came blasting by and cut us off. We looked at each other and said, "Welcome to Kalefornia".

The bike with the air bags and side beams has already been built. Well, no air bags, but it did have a roll bar and seat belts. Back in the 70's a person named Joan Claybrook spent thousands of our tax dollars desiging a motorcycle that had a roll bar and seat belts and steered from the rear. It was the craziest thing you ever saw and after spending all of that money on it, nobody could ride it. It was unrideable.

Dawn Matthews sounds like another Joan Claybrook. Someone with a whole lot of money behind them and less than a clue. She will eventually self destruct just like Claybrook did.

Just my $ .02. Only worth about $ .001/10 here in Kalefornia. :thumb:

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
I find it funny that people say northerners are rude drivers. Sorry... they are a lot more rude here.

you moved to the wrong part of oklamama. people are still friendly in green country.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Joan Claybrook is a former head of the NHTSA, and she's universally ridiculed by people in the automotive and motorcyle industry. She's been the driving force behind dozens of cockeyed safety campaigns. She's the genius who insisted that air bags could supplant seatbelts, and hundreds of people were killed by them.

Remember the 85 mph speedometer? Joan was behind that ludicrous idea also. Joan convinced the federal government that people would assume that 85mph was the maximum speed their cars could attain because the speedo would top out at 85. What a clueless moron. She was also a very high profile testifier at the Firestone blowout trials. She took that opportunity to blast the car manufacturers for making SUV's. She claimed that it wasn't a tire blowout problem - it was an unsafe vehicle problem.

She was also the rocket scientist behind THIS load of crap.

She's now head of the Ralph Nader-founded Public Citizens consumer advocacy group. She's determined to have her finger in every comsumer's pie.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sounds like the former head of the NHTSA needs a little NHITA . . .

if all else fails, of course. ;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
thanks for writing that, Sharla...you have more of a way with words than most of us.

Regarding hogging the left lane, that's VERY common practice here in Iowa.  The cops even do it.  In some european countries, it's considered a much more serious infraction than speeding!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator
EUREKA!

We just build all cars out of Nerf! :yeehaw: Imagine all the lives we'll save, and everyone will just bounce off each other! Heck, we can put up taller barricades on the highways and driving will be like bumper bowling! We won't even have to worry about steering any more!

pure genius . . . :thumb:

Having a nerf car would just encourage me to ram all of the idiot drivers around me. Come to think of it that's a great idea!:laugh:

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Over here we are now in the middle of a 'speed kills' campaign. Basically it is our Government trying to create a zero road death statistic, and also make lots and lots of money in speeding fines, rather than just raising the taxes as they have in the past. They have had an ongoing 'realistic' (read horror movie) style advertising campaign showing what will happen to your head when it had been through the windscreen, and lots of gross ads showing the effects of running over a pedestrian (usually a really cute smaller child) etc.

An example of one particular ad goes like this: guy speeding along in a car, rams another car stopped at an intersection, swears as he has dented the front bumper on his car, walks forwards to talk to the driver of the car he has hit, wonders why the female driver is crying so much, looks in front of the car that he has hit to find a young kid had been run over when he bunted the car forward a few feet, goes into the court system and gets convicted of manslaughter, loses his job and every friend he ever had, goes to jail. So the message that the ad is trying to get across is that speed is the demon here and because he speeds the guy is a real loser. They don't pay any attention to the fact that the main reason that he had the accident was that he wasn't looking where he was going, and that the accident would probably have still happened even if the driver was going slower than the speed limit because he wasn't paying attention and looking where he was going.

Our Land Transport Safety Authority are the people behind the campaigns, and they have suceeded in making drinking and driving a real social taboo, and reduced the number of drunk drivers by a huge amount, which is really good. But they are trying very hard to do the same thing with speeding, and are coming up with some really bizarre statistics to prove that speed is the main cause of road deaths in NZ. Of course if everyone's cars were completely stationary then there would be much fewer road deaths. The whole system sucks and we will soon be very much like parts of eastern Australia where the speed limit is 110kph and everyone travels at 90kph because they are so scared of getting a speeding ticket.

I really really hate the sort of PC crap that Governments come up with sometimes.....

Top Bottom