Hotter plug?

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
Update hotter plug and jetting(jaybird,nikki

sister just got a new 03 kx 125 and its her first 2 stroke, she broke it in today and doesn't know to open these things up. Stock bike with a BR9EIX, black spooge running everywhere(lol) and finally fouled the plug. I put a BR9ES that I run in my kdx 200 and got on it and I ran it hard and it ran great! She rode it for about 5-10 minutes after break in and you could touch the exhaust and cylinder head and wasn't very hot at all (just warm) Since she doesn't ride on the upper rpm's, should I drop down in the heat range and go with a BR8ES? By the way, first tank of gas was mixed 32-1 with Kawi 2 stoke oil and we drained the tank and used what we was using in the other bikes we ride with, golden spectro synthetic 4gallons to 1 pint. Thanks in advance

Please checkout the update below in lower reply

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If you aren't completely happy with the BR9ES then go ahead and try the BR8ES. It won't hurt anything. I am kinda in the same situation - where I don't wind out the rpm's on my 125's (or 80's) all the time, too - and I have always went down to a 8 heat range on my bikes. Just check the plugs on occasion to make sure they are a light tan/brown and not black (too rich) or white (too lean) and you'll be fine :) Plus you might have to tune the jetting on the bike if the spooge thing keeps up (it mauy be a little too rich).

So how does she like that '03 KX 125 anyways??

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
She is in heaven with the new bike :yeehaw: The plug I removed was totally black, maybe I just need to rejet, but it ran so good when I rode it, is a little booooggeee on the bottom and that is where she is riding it right now. Do you know the stock jetting on the 03 kawi 125? I haven't done jetting before, but it doesn't sound that hard, I have automobile mechanic background

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'd rejet before you change the plug range, just my .02. They usually run rich from the factory because it's safer that way.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Get a couple of new pilot jets in smaller sizes and try them out. I'd also try putting the clip on the needle one slot higher(it's probably in the middle position) Elk is right, and they almost always jet bikes a bit fat.
One thing though, I have found that you can be very close to spot-on with your jetting and that Golden Spectro full syn will STILL spooge if you aren't running like a bat out of hell all the time, especially with pump gas. You will be fine with an 8 range NGK plug.
Good luck to you and sis!

garyford6

Jul 19, 2002
Update hotter plug and jetting(jaybird,nikki

Thanks for the help on the 03 kx 125, but before we had a chance to change anything, my sister just had to go race, she raced with the 250 beginners(men) and women's class. She won her first moto in the womens division, but she fouled a plug in practice and fouled another at the starting line in the second moto :ugg: we took it home and went down to a BR8ES and I moved the clip on the needle up one notch lowering the needle. Ran alot better(especially for me) but she still is not reving it up enough before shifting.Air screw was stock at 2 1/2 out, so I went to 3 out and it idled a little high so I went back to stock. Everytime I check the plug, it is wet and still getting a little blackish, but alot better. Should I go smaller with the pilot or main jet now? both are stock , 40 pilot(I think) and 420 main (for sure) Thanks for the help. Gary BTW went to Mobil 1 MX2T @ 32-1

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I agree with Jaybird on the Golden Spectro thing. That stuff spooged on every bike I have ever run it in. Try the Maxima SuperM at 32:1 and some jetting and it will be fine.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Go to a smaller pilot jet. It sounds like she is not even getting up on the main jet so changing it wont make much difference.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Good point Layton. I also changed the nozzle and needle to a leaner ones and that made a good difference. I am still working out the mainjet size myself.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…