how about a work out program for the 40+

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Don't just jump right into something head first. Ease into it slowly, and listen to your body, especially if it has been a long lay-off or you're a first timer in the gym. If your health is suspect at all get a physical done before you start. Other than a few more aches and pains, and a little bit longer recovery period you should be able to do the same type of work-out as any-body else. My best advice is to talk to people at your local gyms, and find a good trainer to take you through a couple of routines and point you in the right direction.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
I recently joined my local YMCA and was impressed with their set up. they have a person help get you started with a complete fitness program tailored to you. All of there machines are also computerized and they track your progress and bump up your excercises as you progress.

Also, there are easy things to do. Are you walking each day? can you ride a bike for 30 min 3x a week?

mike

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
out done by a geriatric gentleman:<¥

took spudric to his gym real nice place© and was playing around on there equipment and was out done by the eldely gentlemen, real bad day:eek: could'nt lift my arm's for a week©

Nov 21, 1999
imo, SEE YOUR DOCTOR FIRST if you have been doing nothing. I just look at the pro. They have very little muscle mass. It's all about ENDURANCE. I wuld lift weights with very high reps.(30 to 60reps. each set). Build up slowly, lower the weight if you can't do the high reps. And last but most important is your cardio system get a mountain bike or run. I prefer the bicycle because it doesn't beat you up, and its fun. Don't just ride for and hour build it up , at least once a week shot for 2 plus hours. works for me went from 230 to 170 and can ride hard for three hour straight at 52( sorry to brag)

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
cardio is king!!!

70 marlin, my advice is to get on a cardio machine 3-4 times a week. I'm in a similar position as you where I can't ride the bike as often as others ie.. fatherandson!

This what I use to build stamina and leg strength. Try to find a machine that has a heart monitor to determine the correct level of exercise for your age and weight. It will also help you from blowing a valve - sorry, a little rickshaw humor:confused:

That's my two cents, look forward to seeing you at Trailfest II!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Been to the dark side, and are paying big time! ¥MX track¤

was talked in to trying out a private MX track© nice littlle track© each open ride I could get about 4 laps In 20 min's© I rode three rides© this was sunday© now it's tue's and the front of my legs are so sore I can hardly move! :scream: what do you real riders do to get rid of your soreness© I'm taking motrin but not helping much© I know what arm pump is now !

Last edited:

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Oh, come on ya big wimp! I did it with bruised ribs and one sepparated one!;) J/K! I know what you mean. The fronts of my legs are starting to bug me too. One thing that I found out that works from when I was lifting pretty heavy was a real light work out w/the muscle that was getting sore. It's basically a lactic acid build up and a (high rep/light weight) work out usually worked it out. Try some squats(the kind w/out weights) until it starts to burn, then you should be good. If it persits, repeat. Talk to you later buddy.

S

Saratoga

Order Gary Semics workout program. Go to his web site online. I have been doing it for six months now and am in the best shape of my life. I was in good shape in college but am in better shape now at 41. I get irritated when people think they are old in their forties. Get off your butt and ride or workout. It is more fun to feel energetic rather than tired all the time.

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by EdLennon
I checked Gary's website and I didn't see any sort of work out program you could buy. Is it a video or a book?

Thanks

Call or e-mail them , they have a program book for sale. Many of the exercises have names that I have never heard of and no pictures to explain them but it still have some good information.

Cardio---Schwin Air Dyne

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I'm only 30, but I can tell that it takes alot longer to recover after a hard ride or race. The best I can do to counteract that is to try to stay in shape. I try to hit the gym regularly so that I'm not sore after excercising. When I'm in this state I have the endurance to last through a race without wishing it was over right in the middle of it!

Matt

Top Bottom