Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Maybe,

We've had a variety of sponsors with Junior Dragsters & go carts that were very cool about donating time, money, advertising space, prizes, &, in one case, we had support from a local church for an extended noise curfew for night races. Anybody that wants to help this sport grow is OK in my book & avoiding negative conotations can't hurt. Is the name so great that it is worth the risk of looking like amateurs? I'd say no. Now if we could get something like "No Talent Ass Clowns" I'd have to say the comedic value far outways any potential lost support. :p

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
As a sales guy, I wonder if Damn Yankee Dirtriders is going to hurt when it comes time for community support, financial support / sponsorship, advertising, kid involvement, etc. Consider the big politically correct picture in the event this turns into something & we need any of the above. You can call it "Ax Murders from Hell" for all I care but it might limit growth in the future.
That's the problem with you sales/marketing guys your always wondering. ;)

If your worried about the impact the word damn has on the general public, just point out that this word is used in the Bible. Just like the word ass. Yet the acronym for the statement For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is not.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by WoodsRider
...Yet the acronym for the statement For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is not.
HeeHeeHeeHee, he said For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge heehee:confused:

I was a bit apprehensive about the name at first but ya know, so what. We wanted something that was unique and had a rebel sound to it. From Vince’s comment, we hit the nail on the head. :)

The whole idea is to have fun and gets some exposure. Is the name pushing it?, maybe, but we’re not trying to create the “United Way” of dirt bikes.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Criminy Sakes!

You nancy's are making us sound like we're Hell's Angel's on dirtbikes. :eek:

Now excuse me while I go shakedown the local bike shop for sponsorship. :scream:

vince

Oct 19, 1999
WoodsRider wrote

"If your worried about the impact the word damn has on the general public, just point out that this word is used in the Bible. Just like the word ass. Yet the acronym for the statement For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is not."

it's called context. Your best example of this would be O & A 3-7pm.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
vince - If the name offends you, then don't participate. I, for one, don't find it offensive.

I'm also unclear about the type of support we're talking about. Motorcycle clubs are non-profit organizations. They sponsor events to generate income which is then used to pay for various things like t-shirts, trophies, insurance and land use. Typically sponsors (usually industry related) donate items to be given away as door prizes.

As an example, if DYDR wanted to sponsor a Toys for Tots or March of Dimes charity ride where the proceeds went directly to these organizations, I doubt that either of them would object.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Damn Yankees seemed to work for Ted Nugent. Been a Yankee all my life (Not one of them there transplanted ones:eek: ) and Damn proud of it too.

vince

Oct 19, 1999
Woods, I find it funny and not organized sounding.

I don't come on this board daily to offend anybody. I am all for opening up land and if you live in Jersey you relize that it isn't very easy to do anything. (1 legal place to ride) I am mearly trying to help out.

Woodsrider, I could be wrong and I apologize but when have you seen an off-road sponsered event. Over here you have so may enviromentalist it would never happen. I don't think MOD / TOT would want that kind of attention.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I guess its kind of a political paradox. Can't say who you really are because you are affraid to offend somebody on the other side of the political fence....but they can keep you from expressing yourself and can attack you legally, verbally, and every other way. We cring in fear...look at this post. And we wonder why we are losing riding places...they promote their political point of view better than we do and we are actually afraid of conflict where they relish the opportunity. Guess who's winning.:uh:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Jeez, this has gotten way out of hand.
I don't know that "No Talent Ass Clowns" or "So-Cal Wrecking Crew" is any less rebellious or more PC. I thought DYDR was more "fun" sounding than a simple "Northeast Dirt Riders" or spodes or whatever else we came up with.

I see the point that others are making, as well. However, I have seen "charity" trail rides and events. I don't think any charity is really going to refuse money, just because the club that raised it has the word "Damn" in their name. Let's lighten up a bit. :D

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Whatever,
I'm done with this name business; call it whatever you want, I would like to participate. Consider this:

* I doubt that many of the folks on this thread have really spent any time trying to promote an event of this type (ie. trying to separate money from a sponsors tightly gripped fingers); if you have succesfully promoted an event & don't believe being politically correct is helpful in closing a deal, you are a better man than I

* I don't think this is a sell out or a compromise of spirit; I like to think that any minipulation of the system, in a covert way, to get what I want, demonstrates my rebelious & independant nature far greater than by using some hillbilly name

* The name is cute but not particularly hip, original, or clever (IMO)

* I'll support you guys with whatever that name choice but I think we could do better; BTW, any ideas for a first event or who is going to run this thing?

Jim

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
...* I'll support you guys with whatever that name choice but I think we could do better; BTW, any ideas for a first event or who is going to run this thing?...
Jim,
Do you have any better suggestions for a name? I'm glad to see you want to be part of the group.

I think our first unofficial event will be the Paragon Ride. It started out as a ride to check the place out but it looks like a lot of people will be there. A more official ride will be at a track that has MX and trails, most likely EBMX near Albany, NY. Woods was going to check into it for the April/May time frame. He has a baby on the way so we'll see how that goes.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Since none of us know eachother:

I've been riding off-road motorcycles on and off since 1984. Over the years I've competed in a few events. In 1997 I became actively invovled and joined the Trail Riders of Houston M/C. After moving to Illinois, I joined the Hill & Gully Enduro Riders M/C in 1999. Last year I again moved to upstate NY and joined the Capitol Area Trail Riders Association. I've been participating on DRN since October of '99. When I joined, I already knew a few people who were participating. Since that time I've met many more. I've never met a person from DRN that I didn't like!

In the past five years I've been involved with seven enduros (two were National ISDE Qualifiers), four hare scrambles (one was a National), three National Dual-Sport Rides (turkey runs) and one off-road poker run. For two of those events I was the HFIC (Head Fool In Charge). I was also instrumental in organizing the team hare scramble at the '00 MWSF. I know others on this board (Daniel Joseph for instance) have also been personally involved with organizing off-road events. There's nothing magical about it. What's needed is people willing to volunteer their time and make it happen.

This is a labor of love. I've never been paid for my effort and don't expect to. What I get is chance to put something back into the sport that I enjoy.

Dave - We could we rename the chapter FAH-Q-GREEN-E's :aj:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by vince
Woodsrider, I could be wrong and I apologize but when have you seen an off-road sponsered event.
There are a few in New England .

There's also a few in Western New York .

Or perhaps your looking for something in New Jersey .

These are all off-road racing series, but some contain some non-competitive events as well. All of these events are sponsored by individual clubs. The series then sanctions each club's event. Hosting a sanctioned event is the easiest way to boost attendance.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I seriously doubt anyone willing to sponser or donate to a offroad event is going to be too worried about being politically correct. If you think they are maybe you should take a good look at one of thier catalogs and thier scantily clad women.

Top Bottom